Why does Airbnb not have a pet fee option for hosts? SO simple!

Shelley56
Level 1
Austin, TX

Why does Airbnb not have a pet fee option for hosts? SO simple!

Unless I'm missing something, there is NOWHERE in the current listing options to add for a pet fee to be automatically applied, like the cleaning fee. This seems a VERY easy, standard, common thing so I cannot figure out why Airbnb does not have this feature as a host option.

Why, Airbnb - why do you not have this very simple option for hosts??

35 Replies 35
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

If you can find the answer please pass on, must be the second most common question. Nobody knows.

David
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Its just as easy to send guest a modified payment request.

No it isn't just as easy. It's several extra steps, esp if the guests have questions about it. Hosts can build in cleaning fees, extra guest fees etc right at the get-go of the reservation. There's no reason why this shouldn't be just as automated. Amending the reservation and requiring guest approval of it is extra steps and NOT just as easy, sorry.

I agree, it's not as easy. Plus people don't read the details and see that though we say we allow pets, there is an extra fee.  Lots of people ask to book and bring their dog. I say Sure! and tell them there's a fee and then they don't book.  This would be a great added feature.

Troy9
Level 6
Coburg, Australia

I suspect paying extra for pets deviates from their warm welcoming sharing ecomony aesthetics.
They want YOU to love their dog as much as they do. Everyone is happy and they might use ABB again.

While I am not 100% sure because I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant, If they add it on to the front end, they must tax it as income.  Fees from Airbnb would need to be taken out of the whole and in some communities where they send taxes to the local organizations for "occupancy" on behalf of the host, this becomes a complication because a dog is not an "occupant" and they have to back that fee out.  It's not that it can't be done, but it's not consistant across all countries, counties, towns, etc.  It's an undo complication that benefits only an small number of hosts.

Additionally, for some hosts, an animal fee is variable.  We charge the fee based on a variety of aspects including but not limited to age, breed, how long the animal is staying, does it sleep on the bed or not, will the hosts need to rent a crate while they are here with us, how many "pets", and if we need to provide food.  By posting in our House Rules that we have a fee without annoucing it in advance, then people talk to us about their dogs first before booking and we have the option of saying no - we're sorry, but we can't host your iguana/tropical bird/snake/rabbit/rat  or whatever they want to bring to our home.  We are picky because, as animal owners, a dog on vacation can do all sorts of things that they would never do otherwise and vetting the owners is the only way to determine if they will be responsible. We recently noted in our rules, now that Emotional Support Animals are allowed free of charge with Airbnb,  that we will not take any animal that does not do it's business outside - anything that deficates in a box, cage, tank, etc is not allowed.  

Finally, it's very easy to collect this fee using the Resolution Center.  Airbnb made using the Resolution Center much simplier to support asking for fees for "extras" so they they don't take out their fees from the bonus services some hosts provide.  When we do an extra, mid-week cleaning and charge the guest, Airbnb doesn't take their cut of that.  If we provide meals, no % to Airbnb.  I personally don't want to start taxing the guests for animal fees any more than I want Airbnb taking a cut of the money I charge to host them.  We don't even bother sending a price change, we just ask for the fee separately.  It's nice and tidy and clean accounting. AND by using the Resolution Center, if the guest refuses to pay, Airbnb will act on my behalf to collect those funds.  So someone who just "shows up" with a dog can be required to pay

Again, just adding my thoughts to this.  BTW, in case you didn't notice, I seriously do not want this to be automated because I don't automatically want to take every dog, cat, ferret, or guinea pig just because someone can check the box in advance that they're bringing a pet and willing to pay to have it stay.  

Thanks for this explanation.  I wish it could be simple, but I feel better knowing there is a very real possibility that its not as simple as i assumed.

VRBO doesn't seem to have that issue. They not only allow pet fees to be charged at booking but they ask if you have a pet. So that excuse doesn't jive.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Other booking systems manage it, ABB collect and remit my Sales tax, having to account for Pet FeesSales Tax would be a real pain.Might only be a dollar or two a month.

David

HOme away has a pet fee option, and they allow me to decide if it is a taxable fee or not, just like the cleaning fee.

Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Shelley56 In all sincerity? Because this company is not interested in simplifying things for hosts. 

RJ8
Level 2
Savannah, GA

We just had a horrible situation with a guest who doesn't understand texts very well, and who found the whole problem of paying for their pet fee after they paid for their reservation to be too hard.  Just too hard.   Trying to do a pet fee on a mobil devise as a host is too hard too.

@RJ8 - how so?  You click on the app and it defaults to the inbox.  Click on the reservation and the conversation comes up.  Click on the "Details" link at the top and the reservation details show.  Half way down that screen is a prompt "Send or Request Money".  That takes you directly to the Resolution Center to request the fees.  It's actually, imo, easier than using the desktop version.  

And, if memory serves, the guest gets an email about the fee and all they have to do is hit the "accept" button, it's super easy and not challenging at all.  

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the send or request money feature works only once during a reservation.  Thus, I am using up my one chance to get reimbursed from them if there is damage to my cottage, or if they decided to bring an extra person, or they left behind stuff they want me to ship to them.

How about the rest of you folks?  Does anyone else find the platforms of the other major listing sites easier to use?  homeaway/vrbo flipkey/traveladvisor  their systems allow you to edit a quote, so that you can add a pet fee, and choose if it is taxable or not?