Why the lacklustre ratings? Where am I going wrong?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why the lacklustre ratings? Where am I going wrong?

My listings are for different rooms in my house. While I mostly get great reviews, there seems to be a marked disparity between one room and another when it comes to ratings and I don’t understand why. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong or how I could improve the ratings would be much appreciated!

So, bedroom 1 https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/14527805 currently has 83% 5 star reviews and 4.8-5 stars in every category = Superhost status met.top front 1.jpg

Whereas bedroom 2 https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/14252680 only has 69% 5 star reviews and 4.6-4.9 stars in each category = Superhost status failed!

2nd floor.jpg

In my opinion, bedroom 2 is the better room. It is a lot bigger, has a much bigger bed, bigger windows, masses of wardrobe space etc. It was painted more recently, so the décor is in great condition. In addition, it faces the garden rather than a busy road like the other one, so is much quieter with a significantly nicer view. There are less stairs to climb and it is closer to the bathrooms, living room, kitchen and gardens. It is warmer in winter and cooler in summer. The list goes on. Price wise, the rooms are around the same, so bedroom 2 is better value, yet it gets lower ratings for this as well.

What baffles me is that the lower ratings for bedroom 2 aren’t specifically about the room itself. Apart from cleanliness, they are lower in every category, yet the guests are getting the same level of communication, the same check in, are staying in the same location (but without the noise from the road). All the facilities they are offered in the rest of the house are exactly the same.

The only thing I can think of is that guests booking bedroom 1 come with higher expectations, perhaps expecting every inch of the house and the location to be as fancy as the room.

Otherwise, I’m at a total loss so have no idea what I can do to improve the ratings. Help!

29 Replies 29
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Farah1 that is a totally unreasonable request and I am glad you stuck to your guns. I had a similar situation with a guest who cancelled last minute. She automatically got a partial refund, but she wanted a full one, despite the cancellation policy. Out of goodwill, I gave her an additional partial refund. Still not good enough, she wanted it all. Then, for the first time, she said her grandmother had died and I should be 'friendly' and give her all the money back. I don't want to seem callous, but I really didn't believe her because of other things she had said. I told her to go ahead and use extenuating circumstances, but either she tried and it didn't work, or she never even tried. I'm glad I did not bend because I think it very low to make up a story like that just to get a few Euros!

Anyway, going completely off topic now.

Would be useful to touch base again after we have both had more bookings for our lower ranked rooms and see if it has improved!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0

Love your rooms and those lamps!!

I was puzzled too, and thought it was the fewer guests in room 2 that made reaching high ratings harder. When you mentioned that room had a couple of longer-term renters it seems to explain it. Guests staying only a few days are out and about a lot and tend to experience a space more positively than somebody who may 'tire' of a situation and not be so prone to give high marks. I'm sure that's the reason.

@Farah1 your rooms too look lovely and crisp! Personally, my designer soul felt strongly drawn to the clear lines of room 1 (black bed covering) - very contemporary chique. Room 2 has much of the same interior, is just as clean-looking and bright and airy, yet my designer soul didn't jump as high. Simply a comment on visual statement: The bedspread visually doesn't tie the room together as well as in room 1 and has less of the contemporary designer feel to it. But then that shouldn't at all affect the rating! Although you do mention that revenge review which really sucker punches ones' ratings. I had a 3 star one last year that really dragged me under and made me lose my SH status, along with a couple too many not leaving a review... It too a long climb back up through sloooooow season and spring to get my badge back.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Andrea9, sorry, what I meant was that the longer term guests were the reason I had fewer reviews for that room. Both of them left me glowing reviews and five stars in every category, so they raised the ratings if anything.

I get what you are saying about guests staying longer placing less value on the experience though. I can see how this might apply when people stay 10 days to two weeks, but the long term guests I'm talking about were here for 3-4 months. Over that time we became firm friends and have stayed in touch. I never had any doubt they would leave me five stars.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

PS thanks for the nice comments about the rooms. I'm a bit obsessed with chandeliers, as you can probably tell!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hey @Huma0, good that you long-term guests worked out so well. Home-sharing CAN be pretty dicey at times 😉

Combining classic chandeliers with modern bunny and puppy (I think it was) lamps - I love those! If you're ever looking for a larger format, here's some Dutch lamp horsing around:

https://www.moooi.com/products/horse-lamp

... investment of which is easily recouped with almost a year of hosting, haha.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9, yes, I like the horse lamp too. In fact I have been tempted to buy other animal lamps but am trying to restrain myself! Abigail Ahern makes some really cool ones in flocked velvet. What's not to love?! There is also a bear side table I have had my on for a while. Totally kitsch and unnecessary, but I'm still tempted...

I may have got lucky with my two lovely long term guests. I have another coming to stay for one month, so let's see how that goes. In her first message, she 'pledged' to follow all my house rules without being prompted and that is rare, so I take it. S a good sign.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Haha, @Huma0, when do we ever really 'need' something we really want. A long time ago I started  viewing such purchase that I love, can just afford but don't 'need' as supportive of my health - my soul is happy when I see them daily, my daily beverages taste better out of the wonderful but slightly costly mug, I feel so much wealthier in a positive way in that atmosphere, and I truly count my blessings by being reminded of how fortunate I am at every turn 🙂

Hopefully your new lodger follows the mould set by the two others You can at least remind her of her solemnly sworn  'pledge' in case she decides to forget the rules! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Andrea9, I do think you are right. It might not apply to everyone, but I think our homes can have so much impact on our wellbeing and my animal lamps do make me smile! I started collecting things for my first home long before I had my own home and, although I now have a place full of stuff, with no real need to add any more, I don't think I'll ever stop collecting!

These are the little critters (from Graham & Green) that I was talking about. I used the black bear one in a photo shoot I did and I was loathe to give him back!animalside-lr_ls.jpg

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Huma0 I see your point, the boys work smashingly as a trio! 

After puzzling mightily over a couple four star reviews, I now include a note to all guests (not just Airbnb) along the lines of "we strive for 5-star reviews.  If you have rated us lower than that, please let us know what changes we could make to earn a 5-star review from you in the future".  That has paid off with some concrete suggestions (for example, I need to go through the fridge and cupboards more regulary to remove past-date condiments) and I learned that some people consider 4 stars an exceptional rating for anything less that a 5-star hotel.

Huma, you might want to just be direct with guests,  and simply ask them!  But the other thing you could try is to change all of the descriptive bits on the lower-rated room page to match those on the higher rated page (except the actual room description).   Who knows what expectation folks have regarding "cute cats" vs. "gorgeous cats"?   Or leading off the "Guest Access" section with "Big kitchen....pretty walled garden"  vs "There are two bathrooms".

The one things you emhasize with the "Pretty Double" is that it's the 3rd floor/4th floor to Americans.  You say it a couple of times.  But for "Large & Lovely" you don't emphasize the 2nd floor/3rd floor to Americans.   It may take people by surprise...?

Just a few thoughts.   Your rooms look lovely and inviting!   If I ever make it to London, I'll have your place on my list to check out--assuming my knees hold out!

@April--Mike--And-Maggie0 thanks for taking the time to look at my listings in such detail.

I am always asking guests if everything is okay, if there's anything else they need, is the WiFi working okay for them etc. but I guess that's not the same thing. I never mention the star ratings, or reviews, except to sometimes ask on/after departure if they would be kind enough to write one for me.

At which point do your guests get your note? Also, does it ever backfire, e.g. encourage them to think about areas for improvement/flaws that they might not have thought of before?

For the lower rated room, two of the guests who gave four stars were very specific about what they didn't like. Where I could do something about it, I did, e.g. banned my housemate from leaving smelly cheese in the fridge! The other two who gave four stars I think fall into the category you mentioned, where they consider that a really great rating and I can see why they would think that. If there is a subtle, non-coersive way of making these guests realise that five stars would be appropriate if they thought everything was perfect, I'd be up for trying it!

I will also take on board your suggestion about the wording of the listings. I thought they were pretty much the same, but I guess subtle differences can make an impact and I'll add the bit about the stairs to the listing for the larger room.

Yes, do come and stay when you are in London. I also have a room on the 1st floor (2nd for Americans)!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Huma0 I wonder if reviews are self-perpetuating?

in other words, if they thought (based on existing reviews) that it was a 4* space or a 5* space when they booked, then their experience confirms that bias and they review accordingly 

just a theory...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 that's a very good point also. Yes, I can imagine guests coming with a pre-conceived idea that a room is four or five stars based on the reviews. Also, people do tend to follow the crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if many guests take into consideration previous ratings and base theirs on them.

I also learnt a lesson recently. I am not sure if everyone will agree with this, but I've decided not to press guests to leave a review. When I've had nice guests, I usually send them a thank you message and ask politely if they would write a review, but then I leave it at that.

However, I had a pair stay in the lower rated room recently. They were so glowing in their praise and repeatedly told me everything was beautiful and perfect and how much fun they had had. The superhost evaluation was about to end and I had 80% five stars. I was so sure they would leave me five stars, but the two week review window was about to expire. I sent them another reminder thinking that their review would safeguard that percentage. Mistake! Again, they said everything was wonderful, but left me four stars and the prospect of getting Superhost vanished!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

UPDATE:

So, I've managed to get the larger room's ratings up to 4.8 overall with 79% five star ratings (as opposed to the 69% when I posted a few weeks ago). It's still not on par with the 85% the smaller room is currently on, but it's a big improvement!

Of course, I'm not going to get complacent as one or two four star reviews would knock this right down again, but I'm minded to agree with @Linda that the issue was more that, having had fewer guests, any four star review for the larger room was going to have a bigger impact. Nothing has changed really, other than I've had lots of short term guests since my long-term one left in June, all of which have given me five stars. Hopefully now that I've got months of short term bookings ahead for that room, I can continue to improve the ratings.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Another thread on the forums prompted me to add an update to this one as a few months have passed by.

I've had a lot more short-term guests stay in the larger room now and although it is still less than the smaller room (45 reviews as opposed to 58), the gap has closed somewhat. However, there is still a marked disparity in the overall rating of the rooms. Big room currently has 78% 5 stars and small room has 86%!

So, not that much has changed, except that the individual star ratings for the large room have crept up. Except for location, which is still, and probably always will be, lagging behind at 4.7, all the categories have been rated 4.9 or 5 stars. Despite this, I'm still getting quite a high percentage of 4 stars overall, including from the guests that leave 5 stars in every individual category!

I'm really not sure if much can be done about this, or if I will just have to accept that the nicer room simply attracts guests with higher expectations. The guests still tell me it is wonderful when they see the room, but then leave me 4 stars for no obvious reason.