You Could Get Evicted!! My Host did!

Lisa1831
Level 5
New York, NY

You Could Get Evicted!! My Host did!

Just wanted to warn host to be careful about renting when you are not supposed to.

I booked a room and my host got evicted 6 days before I was to arrive.  Apparently he was not supposed to sublease.

Was very hard to find a place at the last minute.  My customer service rep did help me through the situation. She was super nice.

3 Replies 3
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Yep. I know of a top host who was making a FORTUNE by illegally subletting apartments in Hollywood. Sometimes the landlords would find out and kick him out. Although interestingly some landlords LOVED having him subletting multiple units -- I guess because they had trouble finding long-term tenants or quality long-term tenants.

One thing to look out for when looking for a stay is hosts with multiple units.There's gotta be some illegal subletting going on there.

And actually I pause when I see ANY host renting out an entire apartment in Los Angeles. Unless they are on vacation, it's now against LA City ordinance to rent out any space unless it's at your primary residence. 

I actually thought some people own multiple properties. So that is why they have a lot of listings like @Paul154 mentioned.

I now ask if people own the property. Like I try to naturally work that question into the conversation. 

Anyway,  @Paul154 and @Pete69 thanks for your responses

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Whoa there @Peter222 

Multiple units listings on Airbnb are NOT proof of nefarious conduct.

Not proof of illegal subletting.

Not proof of anything illegal.

Some people own multiple units.

Some people are agents representing different owners.

Often times, even "illegal subletting" is not criminal.

Every ownership, community standard and landlord/tenant relationship is different. No blanket accusations please.