an extra guest arrived and I could not accommodate them

Sasay0
Level 2
Alexandria, Australia

an extra guest arrived and I could not accommodate them

I've been hosting for a while now and no problems, in fact I enjoy it. I had a guest book one room for two people but then they showed up with three and I could not accomodate them. My listing is up to four people but I had already informed the guest that my children were arriving on the same day and hoped that would be OK. They arrived at my house with an extra (unnancounced) guest and I apologised but said I had no space for the extra person. They were very upset, saying that I had listed space for four but only had space for two. I informed them that it is my home and as they booked for two, I accomodated two, not three. I stood firm and suggested some places close by where their friend could stay. they have given me a terrible review. Was I wrong?

23 Replies 23
Lee143
Level 3
Rehoboth Beach, DE

Wow, people are really divided here. FWIW, here's my response: I first thought you were "more correct" than your guest. But then I went to look at your listing and I've changed my mind.

Yes, I agree, the guest should not have brought a third person unannounced. So he says he was going to pay you the extra $15 upon arrival, but even that doesn't matter because he still booked a 2 room, 4-person place with you. (Technically, he needs to pay that though Airbnb,  so the booking would have to be amended.)

However, I went to read your listing, and I have to take the side of the guest. If it were ME, I would have expected that there were indeed 2 beds, for 4 people, and the extra couch as you mention... because that's what I would think I was paying for (the entire listing). If it's LISTED as what the guest gets, then the guests GETS what is listed.

You can't assume those 2 guests that booked were not going to use both beds! If I booked with a traveling friend, and the place had 2 beds, you better believe we'd each take a bed. And, if I ran into another friend who did not have a place to stay, I would have offered them to stay with me, saying that my accomodations had the room, afterall, I was paying for a place that advertised that it accomodated 4 people total. (This difference here is communication tho... I would have immediately texted you that I was bringing a third at the last minute and would pay you the extra fee upon arrival... Your guest, sadly, did not do that.)

Your pics are NOT clear... you show an upstairs bedroom, then another picture shows the end of a sofa (I think?) but looking beyond into a partial view of a bedroom (and that bed is different). I would suggest you have a picture of each bedroom, and then also the couch if you allow that to be used for sleeping. You also don't elaborate in your written description the setup exactly, so I would also do that for future clarification.

What you fail to mention in your OP is the language you used when you informed him that your children were coming. So we don't have those details, which are kind of critical here, imho, by asking your question to the community.  Did you just say they were coming and did the guest mind? or did you go on to say that one of the bedrooms that is part of the listing would therefore be taken? If it were me, and you just said they were coming and asked if i minded, I wouldn't think twice about it, and say "sure, whatever" because it wasn't affecting me. Unless you specifically told them that one of the beds in the listing THEY had booked was to be used by your visiting children, then I think the guest is "more" in the right than you. 

Bottom line, communication is KEY, before, during, and after a guest's stay. My listing repeats several things, not because I'm not proofing my copy, but because I want to be crystal clear as to what people can expect. Even then, we hosts all KNOW that rarely do our guests read everything, even though they are supposed to. I even message my guests (right after they confirm a booking) to immediately go back and read my entire listing over very carefully... because there is vital information they need to know. Ha ha, then I repeat everything once AGAIN (and even more) in my little welcome letter they find bedside.

At least now you know what you need to communicate better, change or add to your listing description to be crystal clear, so this doesn't happen again!

Sasay0
Level 2
Alexandria, Australia

Hi, I agree it can be misleading but all guests have to be pre-approved by me and I had checked with them that they would be sharing a room. I have only been hosting a few months and the air bnb policy of listing each room seperately has confused me because if there are four people they wouldn't book my room for two. I'm about to shut down for a few months as my family have all come back and I'll look at it again. Thanks. I'll check yours as well, maybe I can get some tips. 

If you have 2 rooms perhaps you could list them separately. 

Cheryl135
Level 2
Warner, NH

Your house, your rules.  You said you could only accommodate two and they brought another.  I would have sent them packing.  Disrespectful at a minimum.  Who cares about a 1 star review.  People are keyboard nazis.  You'll get used to it when you deal with idiots. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Sasay0Two things caught my attention with your event. The listing can indeed be easily misread as others have pointed out and secondly, the guest came across reasonable in his view, and perhaps because he had 'reason' (in part) on his side; THAT would get my attention.  All easily fixed by improving your description, problem solved. Good luck.

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

people are jerks, period.  all you have to do is reply to the review and explain politely and diplomatically that you were sorry they had a bad experience, but that they only booked 2 people and 3 showed up and unfortunately you were not able to accomodate them.  if i saw the review and then your response it would not at all prevent me from booking your room as clearly the guests were just jerks.  and yes its happened to use before too.  they were like "we'll sleep in the same bed!"  i was like "absolutely not!"  i cant believe how rude some people are. 

@Sasay0

I personally think you were right in refusing to accomodate a 3rd guest without prior notice - regardless of whether your children were visiting and using the other room/bed. Airbnb is different from a hotel or motel, and we should not be expected to accomodate "walk-ins". If these guests were staying at a friend of a friend's house for a couple days, do you think they would have acted the same? Regardless of whether they are paying or not, they are staying in someone's HOME. It's just bad manners! 

I took a peek at your listings and would list to suggest for your "B&B_BOHO CHIC Bungalow & POOL" listing, you add that in case the reservation is for just 1 guest or 2 guests sharing a room, the 2nd room will not be available. It will only be prepared as part of the listing offer if 2 guests specifically state they want separate rooms, or if there are 3 more guests in the reservation. And that this must be communicated clearly and reservation/payment finalized accordingly at least 3 days prior to the check-in date. For your "bright, airy room" listing seeing "2 guests/ 3 bedrooms/ 3 beds / 2 baths" is confusing - I think you should show ONLY what the guests reserving this listing will have access to. 

Your listings are all so lovely~!!!!!! If I'm ever in Bali, I know where I want to stay 🙂 

Julie-and-Paul0
Level 1
Chippenham, United Kingdom

This happened to us this BH weekend.the guest arrived quite late and after looking at the room with her sister (room was booked for 2people with 1 double bed) she then asked if her mother could also sleep here and she was in their van parked close by which I thought was very odd.she offered to sleep on the floor.Asit was such a late hr I accommodated them for 1 night but was firm they must find another place the following 2 nights.she made me feel q.awkward.about it making me feel uneasy the rest of the weekend.I think I was within my rights to refuse her

Robert556
Level 2
Kitty Hawk, NC

1. booked for two arrived with three... SOL. not rocket science. three is not two,