dc rental license

Laura384
Level 1
Washington, DC

dc rental license

Do other hosts in DC have rental licenses?  I've never had one, just paid the D-30 taxes but recently read something that sparked my interest in whether I should have one.  Can't seem to find anything that says one way or another if it's required.

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am not sure where you are looking for information about licensing requirments, but I just went to my City's website, entered "short term rental" into the search and found very clear instructions about obtaining a business license, registering my STR and paying the transient occupancy tax. 

Good thing I did this because it was just announced by Air BNB that beginning in September, Air BNB will collect the TOT and remit to the City.  If the City doesn't have a license on a property but gets TOT, the owner will be fined.

Glad you are not trying to fly under the radar.

Nadia-And-Victor0
Level 2
Washington, DC

We are in DC and we claimed our Airbnb income and paid whatever taxes needed. We also registered & paid a $190 registration/licensing fee to receive our business license. This license is valid only on the condition of a successful inspection which has to be set up within 45 days of getting the license. We have some paperwork from the Rental Accommodation Division (RAD) to fill out and we still need to schedule the inspection. Fines seem to start at about $2000. That's what we learned so far and are trying to register and do everything correctly by city regulations. Let's hope it goes easily enough!

Do you know if this inspection is still required if you have a valid Cerificate of Occupancy for the unit (English Basement)?

I am in a similar situation, but earlier in the process. When you applied for the basic business licence, did you do so as a 'bed and breakfast' or one of the other categories? Did you have a Certificate of occupancy for your home that was issues for short term rental use, or just the single family C of O? Thanks!

Steve