dirty guests dirty toilets

dirty guests dirty toilets

Hello, I face a similar issue but about the toilets.

How do you deal with guests that leave the toilets dirty?

I don't understand how one can leave toilets dirty behind oneself. 

even a cleaning fee cannot justify having someone else cleaning your urine, pubic hairs and other intimate souvenirs on/in/around the toilet seat/vase/floor.

how to deal with that? how do you prevent it? 

Could we charge them a  fine?

thank you for your input.

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Geraldine50

It comes with the package - get the gloves and the desinfectant out.

One of those fun things about being a Host, I have never blocked the toilets yet I have 2 plungfers now.

David
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I really do think we could do a better job in the US - when raising our children - to clean after themselves. But I also know that no matter how much effort is expended, some people's children (including one of mine) just will not care. I'm a broken record, harping hourly to be considerate of others - one of my children just. doesn't. care. I feel horrible for any person she lives with in the future. And trust me, it isn't lack of effort on my part. 

i also think that toilet cleaning should be solely a "man's job". There is a night and day difference in my bathroom when my guests include a man. Let's just say, I love when I only have women, lol! 

Ina-Maria0
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

Since May I‘m hosting a brand new purpose built barn conversion and just finished cleaning up after a family that left the place in an appalling state, especially toilets. After reading all the comments here i‘m concluding it comes with the territory and all I can do is to ask that guests must have host recommendations if they want to book straight away otherwise they will have to send an enquiry and it is then up to me to do the research. 

A previous host had marked the guest down on cleanliness. Should‘ve read and actioned that before accepting. :-(.

Hello.  I am happy to say that I have seen a drastic positive change since I have put a notice board on the toilet requesting to return it cleaned, add in my house guide book that it is considered to be offensive to let the toilets dirty for some else to clean after them even if the service is paid for. 

And I offer cleaning service as an option. So who wants the service pays for it or they do it themselves if they want to save on that expense.  

Changed my life!!!! 

Hope this helps. 

Rupa1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Geraldine0I loved what you wrote. But doesn't guest leave bad reviews or give bad rating after they leave?

I thought of writing something similar to what you wrote but never felt brave enough to do that.

Currently I have a couple who had amazing reviewed and I feel tortured every single day ever since they are here (it's day5 and they are here for another 3 nights). I don't charge cleaning fee (even though one charge it doesn't do any justice what they are doing).:

I have another room and hence the bathroom is shared with other guest (not with us though!)

So here are the things:

1) EVERY single day I have to clean extremely dirty toilet bowl and men's urine with their pubic hair (sorry TMI), dirty floor, shower and I am honestly tired and super annoyed & they knows Bathroom is shared with other guest and still leaving everything to clean for me

2)  I do it because it's not fair on other guest and they might give bad rating so without a fail I try to clean as often as possible sometimes twice a day

3) regardless of  after reminding couple of time they still uses shoes in the stairs and in the room

How do I deal with it. I am afraid if I tell them anything they will leave bad reviews

Any advice?

Many thanks in anticipation!!

Certainly not! I have no bad reviews at all Actually, I have pretty good reviews with mainly 5-star ratings. I think that I made everything very clear in my listing and in my house rule, with a pinch of humor where possible...

Sorry I actually reply far past your guest stay and I hope you got your problem solved. 

and sorry also you may get confused my a different Geraldine replying, it auton=matically got onto my second account that I created for the property I manage but don't own. 

Back to your topic. I surely would have reminded them of the house rule. I actually recently got very noisy clients, and I had to tell them to watch out. the neighbours had made complaints to the police and I cannot risk my rental license, they apologized and did not do it again. but they have put a review at all! 

it is down to how you say it, what works best is to apologise to have to tell them how to behave! looks like you are embarrassed, while they are the ones who should be embarrassed. 

no bad review for that so far. 

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

I came upon this thread while looking for advice about how to review a recent guest who left the toilet in a disgusting state, but were otherwise fine and the rest of the house was left clean and tidy.

If it weren't for the toilet, I would happily have given them 5* ... but...

I'm not just talking about urine stains and pubic hairs! They messaged me just as they were checking-out, at the latest possible time (and a mere three hours before the arrival of my next guest) and casually mentioned that the toilet was blocked. I immediately replied to ask them if they could give me any more information - had they tried to clear the blockage? was the toilet working otherwise? had this only just happened? explaining that I needed to know whether to try and get hold of an emergency plumber.

I got no reply from them so I raced around to the property, having gathered up a plunger, various drain un-blocking products, rubber gloves and a determined mental attitude, to assess the situation. It was truly an appalling sight - the toilet bowl was stuffed to the brim with excessive amounts of toilet paper topped with a huge pile of faeces (good grief, what had they been eating?!) and 'residue' of the same all around the rim....

Fortunately, a few good flushes and application of the plunger, followed by a dose of drain un-blocker and some more flushes after letting it work its magic, cleared the blockage and by the time the next guest arrived I had bleached the entire toilet so much you would never know it had witnessed such horrors. 

Now, what do I say in my review about these seemingly normal polite people, who left such a disgusting mess behind them and didn't seem to think it was anything out of the ordinary???

Hello, I am always hesitant in leaving a bad review to guests as I always wonder how much I would like them to be repeaters or not and most importantly, I don't want potential other guests thinking I could be a difficult host, still, I want to be honest. |And I mainly want my future guest to get a hint on what I think is not acceptable.

in the case you just described, I surely would write in the personal feedback how much I understand it could have been embarrassing for them to request the toilet to be fixed, but you wished you could have made their stay more comfortable if you knew a plumber was needed and that would have also made things easier for all parties. (something along this line in better English 😉 !) - and something similar in the public review more address to your future guest, so they understand it is better to inform you in due time of any issues instead of leaving it as a surprise. for sure, don't get nasty, turn everything positive.... hope this helps.

Geraldine