how to properly review a kind of crappy guest

Joi0
Level 3
Blacksburg, VA

how to properly review a kind of crappy guest

Last weekend a large group of single guys rented my place. The guest who made the booking reported that his friend punched a hole in the wall in our main hallway, out of anger, because he lost his keys. I thought it was admirable that he admitted to it. My cleaner later reported that the house was filthy, especially considering they stayed less than 48 hours. I submitted a resolution request for the damages and extra cleaning. He balked at the price and negotiated me down to $130 for the repair ($100) and extra cleaning ($30). It was not a huge hole (it was fist sized) but even a small hole requires joint compound or spackle, sanding and painting. At least 2 or 3 trips to the house for the handyman. There is no way I can get a guy to do it that cheap. Anyway, I wanted to keep things civil so I agreed to the $130. Now I am supposed to review him. Some things they got right (they followed the departure instructions nicely) but this damage and the condition they left the house and the way the resolution was handled left me fairly unimpressed. Especially since he gave airbnb a different story than he gave me. ("My friend fell and lost his balance") 

What kind of review should I leave? I don't want to be unfair and ruin his chances of booking other places, but I feel he is a bit irresponsible. Any tips?

18 Replies 18

I would give him the refund, I had given refunds even when they had arrived and decide to have a shorter stay, because the made other plans.

Although he should have contact you earlier and ask for more directions. What is your cancelation policy?

Joi0
Level 3
Blacksburg, VA

update!

i left an honest review of what happened. this was over 3 weeks ago. So far neither my review, nor the guests reveiw have been posted. Is this because he did not review his stay atall? In that case will my review of him never be posted? If that is the case, the system is flawed because any guest who knows they have done something that might warrant a bad review, will simply not post their own. Is that how it works?

My understanding is that the review should get posted after 2 weeks if the other doesn't write a review.  And I think the option for the other to write a review expires at that time, though you can always respond publicly to a review.  Am I right here?

yes, I failed to hit submit for a review at a stay in EU I wrote, so they never received a review from me. I did receive a review from them, later.