"Location" in review should be eliminated

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

"Location" in review should be eliminated

Location should be eliminated. It's very misleading and clearly, it's too confusing for guests to figure out.
I previously got 4 stars for location because I wasn't ON the ski hill, despite my listing heading saying 5 minute drive TO the ski hill and mentioning it twice more in the listing. Then when they realized their mistake, they complained because they thought it was a 5 minute WALK. Then they also dinged my in my listing description under accuracy for the same thing! My listing clearly states a 5 minute DRIVE. Not only that, my listing is accurately located on the MAP on the listing page. and it clearly shows me in relation to the ski hill. I don't have exact location chosen, because I simply don't need to. It shows me on the map pretty much right on top of where I am anyway.

Just today, I got dinged on location again because the young group that stayed had car trouble on their way here and were without a car for the 5 days it took to have it repaired. They dinged me on location because I wasn't closer to downtown, where they had to walk to, to catch the shuttle to the ski hill. Downtown is a 3 minute drive or a 15 - 20 minute walk. I'm super clear in my listing as to where I am and THEY choose! So UNFAIR!

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle-and-Ray0  Totally agree. All the other star ratings make sense in that they rate the host on communication, cleanliness, etc. Apart from the fact that guests don't understand this rating, Location does not belong in there as there is nothing a host can do or improve about their location, aside from describing it accurately in their listing.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Well, nothing but agree with you both, @Michelle-and-Ray0 and @Sarah977. I'm in the city centre, close to anything of interest, but still some score me 4/5 on location. 

The biggest problem is Airbnb doesn't instruct guests how the review system works, as was discussed many a time in other threads.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Michelle-and-Ray0, my listing is fortunately in a good location, and I still agree that the Location rating should either be changed or eliminated.

I'm not even sure what the Location rating is supposed to communicate to guests.

Is the Location Rating supposed to indicate that the listing is in a good location?

No, the map does that.

Is the Location Rating supposed to indicate that the listing has convenient things in the neighborhood?

Why not call the rating "Neighborhood"?

Is the Location Rating supposed to indicate how accurately the host described where the listing is?

Isn't that what "Accuracy" is for?

What is the Location rating even supposed to mean to people?

Agreed! It means something different to every person, so to rate on something so ambiguous, is really unfair to hosts. I'm just sick of it. It's common sense, but it seems that whoever is running ABNB really doesn't seem to have a lot of it and they really don't think things through or bounce ideas off of others to have an idea of what could go wrong when they implement changes or components to the ABNB platform.
Very frustrating to know that there are so many shortsighted people running such a large company that affects so many people's lives.