"The Age Gap"

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

"The Age Gap"

Hi Folks,

We have just had two older people stay in one of our lodges who did not understand AIRBNB house rules are mandatory. They were under the impression that we comply with hotel flexibility regarding check out time! Both of these people were very polite, left the lodge very clean but left at 1310 not 1000 as the house rules state. I think that they have played this trick before but I am not 100% SURE, so I am now in the difficult position of providing a review for two complete con men or two lovely people who just do not understand how AIRBNB works. I would like to provide a private warning to future hosts but our system doesn't provide this facility, maybe the platform could look into a host to host comments box which would only be visible to fellow hosts not guests!!!! I realise that USA hosts will have an issue with this because of " guests rights" but I feel that I have been "had" and there is very little I can do about it short of writing a review that potentially could insult two very nice innocent people!!!!!

Regards Shaun

14 Replies 14
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Shaun69  I think you have played. No hotel let's you stay past check out time for free. Here' AirBnB's policy about late check out's:

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

Shaun69
Level 10

@Letti0 You are probably right but there is a small chance that they were genuine in which case I would hate to give a poor review!

Regards Shaun.

P.S It will only happen once!!!!!!!!!!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"Dorothy and Bill were a pleasure to meet and left the lodge very clean. Communication was good except for a possible misunderstanding about checkout time."

Would that work, @Shaun69? It would give future hosts a heads up without accusation or insult. 

Shaun69
Level 10

@Lawrene0 Thank you Lawrence I think that is perfect and I will certainly use it in the review.

Regards Shaun

@Shaun69

Hotels do not allow guests to stay for free beyond the stated checkout time and definitely do not have "flexible" checkout. Where on earth did they get that ridiculous idea? 

I think wording @Lawrene0 suggests is great~~~~ me personally, I'd be a bit more blunt/direct 🙂 

"(after saying a bunch of good things)...... Unfortunately, guests seemed under the impression that check out times listed on Airbnb are flexible and which led to some confusion and an unexpected late checkout. Thankfully, there was no harm other than having to reschedule with our cleaner, and we greatly appreciate the the guests left our lodge very clean." 

Shaun69
Level 10

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Thank you for your input, you are right but it is difficult to moan about grandma and grandad!!!!

Regards Shaun

@Shaun69

My grandpa used to wear a hearing aid and whenever his children (my dad, uncles, aunts) started talking about something that he wasn't interested in hearing, he'd pretend not to understand, suddenly complain about how his hearing aid doesn't work or suddenly feel the need to lie down a bit. Whenever they talked about something that intrested him, he'd have no trouble hearing at all, finish my uncle's sentences and skip his nap. 

I've seen plenty of people including my own grandparents use their "seniority" or "old age" to trick people (not just family but at stores and resturants) in order to get what they want - because most people don't want to be rude or pushy towards our elders. 

But I do understand 🙂 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0 Excellent idea for a review of these guests.

@Shaun69 What relevence do these peoples' ages have to their timekeeping skills.  Why do you feel it necessary to refer to them as "older people."  Older than what?  Time itself?

Shaun69
Level 10

@Rachel0 Thank you for your reply, I agree that Lawrences suggestion is spot on and I will use it accordingly.

Regards Shaun

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Why they thought what they did I do not know, but I have never stayed in a Hotel that lets you leave as late as you want to. They have rooms to clean, new people coming in.

David
Shaun69
Level 10

@David126 Guests will be guests and I suppose we should except that what we consider as normal practice might not ring true with the great "general public".

Cheers Shaun

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I may be a Great Grandparent but not yet senile, lots of people push their luck no matter what their age.

David
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"Old age and treachery..." 🙂

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

If the cleaning is finished, I will often tell a guest he can check in early as a gesture of good will and sometimes for a Sunday check out I will do the same, as the cleaners do not work on Sunday.  Thus far, only one guest has taken me up on that.

However, I had one older man, who I did not inform he could check in early, but he did anyway! Check in time is 4:00, but he showed up at 1:30. I didn't say anything, especially as time went on and he wasn't able to find the washer and dryer or work the blinds. Of course that is slightly different from an unscheduled late check out, as it could really disrupt cleaning schedules. I think @Lawrene0 has had the best idea for such a review!