Untrustworthy guest...maybe

Untrustworthy guest...maybe

A guest has booked for Champion's League weekend; he has booked my place on behalf of 3 couples, he has no previous reviews to judge him by. 

He started sending multiple insistent inquiries on what's app as to whether I would allow an extra 2 couples to stay. The messages were a little pushy and erratic, sending just a few words at a time and they were also sent from his partner/girlfriend/wife, who subsequently does most of the messaging. I replied saying that it was my home and I felt uneasy about extra guests, especially as it could turn raucous. They agreed they would not allow extra people to stay.

After everyone warning me that they'd probably shoe-horn the extra guests into the property anyway without my knowing, I emailed the guest a couple of weeks later. Within this email I said that given the booking crisis for Champion's League, I would be happy for them to stay if they were willing to pay an extra £150 per night (as compensation to me for possible wear and tear to the property). They failed to respond at all. A month later, I emailed to say that their original messaging and their lack of response to my last message had left me nervous and I wished to cancel. They responded immediately to beg me not to. 

What would you do? If I cancel I loose my superhost status and ability to rent out the property again. Is it worth it for peace of mind or am I being too nervy?

14 Replies 14
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lottie3

Personally I think you are being too nervy - and you have gone outside AirBnB policy too. I think you are reading too much into the WhatsApp messages. 

1. You have their agreement that only x number will stay.
  2. I would reconfiirm this to your guests on the AirBnB platform.

You can't increase the price per night like you have suggested for possible wear and tear - is this meant to be a deposit or a payment (either way it is against AirBnB policy) - they can cancel and you will be penalised for this. You need to be careful that they do not approach AirBnB and complain about the increase in price as you will find you lose your Superhost status, and get a financial penalty as well as having your calendar blocked for that time.

Hope that helps in some way - however...if you still feel uncomfortable then approach AirBnB before your guests do and see what advice they offer.

Good luck

My reading of what @Lottie3 wrote was that she'd allow the additional couple for $150 extra. I think it's fair for the host to negotiatie additional guests without running afoul of ABB rules. (If she's indeed just raising the price because she's got cold feet about this group, that's a different story!)

@Gerry-And-Rashid0give excellent advice on confirming the existing reservation. You have a contract in place for a certain # of guests. I wouldn't cancel. For an event like that people tend to bunk up more (friends approaching your guest with "Hey, we're still having a problem getting lodging, is there extra space at your place?") I wouldn't fault people for asking so long as they aren't rude about it.

And if you're okay with hosting the extra couple for an additional charge, that's fair. When I've done this in the past, I make clear that the reservation total has to match the number they're bringing before I'll check them into the house.

@Lottie3

Just make sure you re-iterate the most important part of questions and your reply and last offer on the Airbnb messaging page.

Important in case of later problems. For the rest, stay positive but vigilant, and do an ID check/registration upon arrival.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lottie3  @Gerry-And-Rashid0  is correct.  You cannot add a fee just because you are nervous about the guests, even though poor communication does unnerve many hosts.  As you do not have an additional charge for extra guests, you have clearly posted that you do not want crowding.  Unless you follow through with the cancellation it would be best to confirm you welcome the party and hope the lines of communication are open so all will enjoy the time.  Good luck !

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Lottie3 , 

1.) don't cancel, just leave  as is: you have 6 people coming (your max), you have their agreement to not bring in any more. That is what counts.

2.) after initially denying their request for more people, you are actually the one that opened again the door to bring in more people by emailing them with your extra offer to charge 150 for the extra people. You really don't want 10 people there, with one bathroom.... the extra money isn't worth it. just stick to the confirmed agreement you have via Airbn.

3. No communication on whatsapp, keep it to the Airbnb platform.

4. I would personally make it a point to be there to check them in, and to observe that it is  only 6. 

Good luck, may it all work out well!

Maria809
Level 2
Sammamish, WA

@ Lottie, i am having the same issues right now. are the names of these people [personal information hidden], by any chance?

thanks!

Maria

@Maria809  Are you aware that you can send a private message to @Lottie3 regarding your concern?  I wonder if your identifying guests on this public forum is wise given the tenor of the original post.  Something to think about.

Carla164
Level 1
Collinsville, OK

a situation has came up this weekend and I feel uneasy. Need advise.  First I have a young man booked arriving tomorrow he says he is from Wichita Kansas.  Under his profile and name it states Kellyville Okla.  He is young and paid for one night.  I now Have a request for another very young person also from Kellyville Oklahoma. She says she is thinking of moving to the area and she wants to book for 7 nights.  Let me say Kellyville is 45 minutes from me.  I guess I find it abit odd 2 people states both are from the same town brand new to airbnb.  requesting a room.  The young girl even comments we have spoke before and I went back through my history and I have never spoke to her.  It just seems a little odd.  I live in a small town not sure what would take her a week to deside.  Let her also book or no....    My gut says no but I want to hear others comments

@Carla164, it does seem a bit odd, doesn't it..? I would feel the same way. So you either follow your gut feeling and decline, or you can message the guest with extra questions, stating that you think it's a bit odd , being open and clear about it but not come across as suspicious -  finding the right words is key.  I would probably not get into it and just decline. would be interesting to see what then happens to your one night Friday booking.... Good luck!

My last two booking requests showed they were originating in Kellyville, Oklahoma.  As I read each profile, both were in other parts of the country.  The first said they were a group of 5 driving in from LA and was the security deposit negotiable, also a first time Airbnb guest.  She had several other questions which answered and then did not hear back from here for over 24 hours.  She did finally respond and booked my listing.  This morning I had a second request from a guest originating in Kellyville, Oklahoma.  Profile said they were in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Before I could reply, the request was cancelled.

Now I'm getting an odd feeling about the Kellyville connection.  Is this some sort of scam?

Linda

San Antonio, Texas

Interesting about Kellyville Ok.  My last guest profile was from there, but he said he was from Illinois.  He was not a good guest.  What is the deal with Kellyville?

@Paulette14  and @Linda-And-Richard0 , I just got a booking from Kellyville, OK, also. Being aware of the issue here, I messaged the guest right away and asked about it, as she is also from another city. she had no clue why, went into her profile and changed it to her correct city. Communication with her is fine, so I am convinced, as others have also expressed in various posts, that Kellyville (or Lindenhurst) is Airbnb's default fill in for location when the guest hasn't filled out the basics of their profile. So I'm not gonna worry about it!

Still, what I don't like about it is this: it is misleading hosts, making them believe there is a location for their guest - and then it leads to suspicion and mistrust. Why can Airbnb not simply go back to the guest and ask them to fill out their profile properly? like they say the guest is verified? how verified is someone with an obviously wrong/fake location - and Airbnb itself is the culprit in making it that way. 

Yes, kellywhateverOK  is the new Lindenwold NJ. 

Blame goes to airbnb. The guests Ive hosted with this location were totally unaware of the issue.They were great guests.