Day 8 - Liv's Quarantine Cookbook

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 8 - Liv's Quarantine Cookbook

Liv_0-1607445726527.jpeg

Hey everyone,

I don’t know about you, but when the pandemic started and it became clear that we would be spending a lot of time at home, I had lots and lots of plans of different things that I’d like to do and learn.

With time, I came to realise that this year wasn’t really about accomplishments, but about taking care of each other and being kind to ourselves. That being said, there was one thing that I was able to accomplish in 2020. 

I began the year not having much talent in the kitchen, which for a food lover such as myself was quite frustrating. Therefore I decided I had to try and change that.

My main goal was to explore several dishes and perfect simple recipes so I can begin my journey towards becoming that elderly relative whose food everyone in the family raves about. And I believe that now I’m well on my way - finally! 🏅

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (1).jpeg

I mean, come on, look at this table. You can see I’m really trying here.

After a few failed attempts and a portion of successful dishes, I’ve compiled a list of 4 of my favourite recipes I’ve tried this year. Here we go:

Spring: chilled beet soup

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (3).jpeg

This easy to make dish is a delicious option for complementing light meals. It’s a mixture of cooked beets, mint and cream/yogurt.

Summer: homemade chocolate popsicles

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (4).jpeg

This is my mother’s recipe and it was my favourite treat to have as a child. To make your own batch you’ll need condensed milk, double cream and cocoa powder. Just mix them in a pan right up until it starts to boil and then just place it in the moulds and into the freezer.

Autumn: red lentils hamburger sandwich

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (5).jpeg

Perfect for a movie night in, this cheeseburger will definitely please both vegetarians and carnivores.

To make the patties, you’ll need to cook the red lentils, let them dry and then mix them with browned chopped onions and garlic plus grated carrots in a frying pan.

After seasoning the mixture in the pan, pour it into a bowl and add flour and breadcrumbs. Make the patties shapes with your hands and let them rest in the fridge for half an hour until they’re ready for frying!

Winter: cheesy pasta

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (6).jpeg

As a good Italian descendant, I couldn’t possibly keep myself from adding a pasta recipe to the list. 

This one requires a variety of wonderful cheese: mascarpone, blue cheese and goats cheese. You’ll also need a lemon, fresh marjoram, asparagus, salt, black pepper, olive oil and, obviously pasta (I recommend tagliolini or tagliatelle). 

Melt the cheese in water bath and add the marjoram and lemon zest.

When cooking the pasta, you can add the chopped asparagus in the end.

When both parts are ready, just pour some of the pasta water to the cheese sauce and toss in the pasta to coat it. Perfetto!

I hope you guys enjoyed reading about my kitchen adventures 👩‍🍳

What have you been cooking lately? Have you mastered any new recipes in 2020?

Thanks,

Liv

36 Replies 36
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The struggle (to fit into my pants) is real 😂😂😂 - will be even greater after trying all these @Liv 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hahahahaha don't worry too much, @Nick! I'm sure we can all relate 😂 (although I'm convinced my pants have mysteriously shrunk during lockdown).

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Liv  They all look yum and not too hard to prepare . I love red lentils and they were always a great cheap student food for things like dhal. Never yet tried making a burger with them . I did try a packet mix one time......😛 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ria16,

I also love red lentils, they are not only cheap, but easy to make! They go great with salads too.

I've never tried making dhal, have you got any recipes to share? 👀

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Liv 

Nothing special as I tend to chuck everything in at once . It all seems to come together in about 25 mins so onions, cumin , garlic sometimes a tin of tomatoes , lemon juice. But you can make it spicier if you want . I’m not a chilli fan 🤗

But I’ve also since covid (thanks you tube) started making flat bread which is so easy to prepare and the two go so well together 😍

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Liv, this looks so amazing, and I am getting very hungry after seeing this! 

My partner is Chinese/Korean, so she has been trying to teach me how to cook some Korean dishes such as Japchae, Bibimbap, Bulgogi. We eat quite a lot of Kimchi as well! 😃

Next would be to learn how to cook some Chinese dishes!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy I'm also getting very hungry reading your post, so we're even 😂

I really love both Chinese and Korean cuisines, please let me know if your partner's got any restaurant tips!

Also, it'd be great to see your attempts on those dishes. Have you got any pictures to share? 🍲

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Liv ,

You're a fantastic cook, all dish you prepared is delicious. 👏

" Amazing, simply amazing." 

Cheers,

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww, that's so sweet @Dale711. Thanks for the support 😊 I'll definitely keep on trying!

@Liv 

I love cheesy pasta and I will definitely try out your recipe 😀 Henry does almost all of the cooking with the exception of pasta. When Henry isn't around I live off pasta and instant ramyeon noodles. 🤣 

These are two dishes Henry cooked when I was in Seoul for the weekend 😀 

budae-jjigae (aka. army stew)budae-jjigae (aka. army stew)spicy ribsspicy ribs

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I LOVE ARMY STEW!!! so comforting especially for supper 🤣

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

oh wow! @Jessica-and-Henry0 I haven't had breakfast yet and seeing this makes my tummy play loud music 😛 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica-and-Henry0 😍 these look so amazing I can almost taste it. Are those sausages in the first picture?

Also, it'd be amazing to see you have a go at the cheesy pasta. Let us know how it goes, I hope you like it 😊

@Liv 

Yes.... sausages 😆 😆 😆 Budae-jjigae is basically a Korean version of spicy sausage (+spam+bacon) stew. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budae-jjigae