Day 8 - Liv's Quarantine Cookbook

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 8 - Liv's Quarantine Cookbook

Liv_0-1607445726527.jpeg

Hey everyone,

I don’t know about you, but when the pandemic started and it became clear that we would be spending a lot of time at home, I had lots and lots of plans of different things that I’d like to do and learn.

With time, I came to realise that this year wasn’t really about accomplishments, but about taking care of each other and being kind to ourselves. That being said, there was one thing that I was able to accomplish in 2020. 

I began the year not having much talent in the kitchen, which for a food lover such as myself was quite frustrating. Therefore I decided I had to try and change that.

My main goal was to explore several dishes and perfect simple recipes so I can begin my journey towards becoming that elderly relative whose food everyone in the family raves about. And I believe that now I’m well on my way - finally! 🏅

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (1).jpeg

I mean, come on, look at this table. You can see I’m really trying here.

After a few failed attempts and a portion of successful dishes, I’ve compiled a list of 4 of my favourite recipes I’ve tried this year. Here we go:

Spring: chilled beet soup

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (3).jpeg

This easy to make dish is a delicious option for complementing light meals. It’s a mixture of cooked beets, mint and cream/yogurt.

Summer: homemade chocolate popsicles

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (4).jpeg

This is my mother’s recipe and it was my favourite treat to have as a child. To make your own batch you’ll need condensed milk, double cream and cocoa powder. Just mix them in a pan right up until it starts to boil and then just place it in the moulds and into the freezer.

Autumn: red lentils hamburger sandwich

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (5).jpeg

Perfect for a movie night in, this cheeseburger will definitely please both vegetarians and carnivores.

To make the patties, you’ll need to cook the red lentils, let them dry and then mix them with browned chopped onions and garlic plus grated carrots in a frying pan.

After seasoning the mixture in the pan, pour it into a bowl and add flour and breadcrumbs. Make the patties shapes with your hands and let them rest in the fridge for half an hour until they’re ready for frying!

Winter: cheesy pasta

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-08 at 15.21.24 (6).jpeg

As a good Italian descendant, I couldn’t possibly keep myself from adding a pasta recipe to the list. 

This one requires a variety of wonderful cheese: mascarpone, blue cheese and goats cheese. You’ll also need a lemon, fresh marjoram, asparagus, salt, black pepper, olive oil and, obviously pasta (I recommend tagliolini or tagliatelle). 

Melt the cheese in water bath and add the marjoram and lemon zest.

When cooking the pasta, you can add the chopped asparagus in the end.

When both parts are ready, just pour some of the pasta water to the cheese sauce and toss in the pasta to coat it. Perfetto!

I hope you guys enjoyed reading about my kitchen adventures 👩‍🍳

What have you been cooking lately? Have you mastered any new recipes in 2020?

Thanks,

Liv

36 Replies 36
Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Hi @Liv !

Lovely to see the heartwarming dishes you cooked.  Good job! We all sure did learn something useful this year. 

Yesterday it was my first time baking croissants. I did not dare to attempt it in Asia due to our warm weather, so since I am now in a winter place (sharing my journey more today), I knew I just have to try to bake it! 

IMG_8766.JPG

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw, thanks @Yuan100! It's great to hear from you.

I would never have guessed from the picture that it was your first attempt! The croissants look gorgeous. You must be quite proud 😊 Did the have any filling? 

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Wow @Liv ,

Your dishes look appertising  indeed! Another chilled soup option , when fresh tomatoes are in abundance is Gazpacho. A delicious blend of raw vegetables.

Like anything , practice makes perfect. Keep up your cooking journey, it’s a blast when you can share tasty food with others.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks, @Laura2484 💕

Oh, I love gazpacho! I've never tried making it though, please let me know if you have any tips or a recipe to recommend?

I'll definitely keep on practising, it really is super rewarding to share great food you've made yourself 🍝

My current challenge has been baking a cake, I haven't quite figured out yet why sometimes and get it right and sometimes I don't 😂 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Liv @Laura2484 I made Gazpacho for the first time this year and it's super easy! 

I can't find the recipe I used though, so @Laura2484 you'll have to share yours with us 😊

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Liv, I’m definitely going to try some of those red lentil burgers!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh, I'm very happy to hear that, @Cathie19! I hope you like it 💛🍔

Let us know how it goes!

Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

Loved your post and what a great idea to create a cookbook! Organizational skills like that can be super helpful. I mean, what a great holiday present your little book could be for family and friends! I think you made lemonade out of pandemic lemons. ❤️

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Actually, I hadn't thought of that! The credits to this great idea go all to you, @Debi1

I think I might steal it if you don't mind though 😜

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Liv 

After reading and seeing it ... I am hungry! 🙂

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@J-Renato0 Great, I'll set a place for you at the table! 🍽  🙃

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh my gosh @Liv, this is food heaven - well done chef! Those iced lollies look right up my street (I have a sweet tooth, can you tell?) 🍦 🍭 🍫

Do you prefer sweet or savoury? Is Italian your go-to cuisine or do you prefer others?

I've mastered several recipes this year, but I also had a phase where I favoured the easy, speedy, low-effort ones as I was sick of seeing my own kitchen haha. 

It's so nice that you've tracked the recipes through the year too - you've inspired me and I'm thinking of trying one new recipe per month and keeping a little cookbook diary next year 👩‍🍳  

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Katie Hahahaha I think the gingerbread house MIGHT have given that away 😂

I absolutely cannot choose between sweet and savoury. If it's food, just send it my way and I'll take care of it 👻 

I guess I could say Italian is one of my go-to cuisines, but again, can't choose 😆 I've never made any Arab dishes myself, but that cuisine is definitely one of my favourites ❤️ what about you?

To be honest I didn't intend to do anything with the pictures at first, I take them because I genuinely find food as beautiful as any natural landscape 😆 but it turned out to be really nice having them . It's been fun tracking the progress I'm making.

Please keep us update on your attempts! I'd love to see your diary coming together.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Guilty as charged @Liv  😂 🍬 🍫 

Yeah to be honest, I'm a foodie so I'm inclined to agree that anything is exciting, sweet or savoury. 

True, Lebanese is one of my fave takeaways! I've never had a go myself though. I'd say my go-to is any kind of curry. My signature is a spicy red-lentil curry with cheat's pickled red onions on the side. 

I love the photos! I want to hear about the recipes you master over Christmas and next year 😋

Trudie7
Level 6
Sydney, Australia

@Liv  Always great to be inspired to try new recipes. Cooking at home allows us to share valuable time with our families & the people we care about. It’s summer in Australia at the moment so Chocolate popsicles are a must! Would love you to share the amounts required for each of the ingredients of this yummy recipe.