How do I…

Marianne596
Level 2
Enumclaw, WA

How do I…

… our place has two bedrooms, each with a queen bed. We also have an inflatable queen available and a couch. So, how many people? Since it’s two beds, can I say 4? Or should I say 5? I’d like to charge extra for more than four adults because I’m really not comfortable with that many, but an extra child would be okay.  How do I do that?

5 Replies 5
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

This booking platform will not let you account for any more guests then you list as your max. For example, if you list your place is suitable for 4 guests, then the booking cannot be submitted for more then 4 and it is impossible for the system to charge for an “extra.” You will only appear in search results where the guest indicates 4 or less people. You could work around this by adding a clause to your house rules and charging an additional amount through the resolution center. I think this is effy because technically the confirmation would still only include 4 guests. And you would be relying on guest to actually read your listing to discover this info.

Personally, I think it is best to stay consistent. If your place sleeps 4, in real beds, then list for 4. If you increase this number to 5, there is no way to prevent groups of 5 adults from seeing your listing in their search results and trying to book.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marianne596   Stick with 4. Once you start advertising things like inflatable mattresses, that just gives guests the idea they can cram in more people. And it's a one bathroom place. 4 is plenty. 

You will no doubt have guests asking at some point if they can bring a child, grandma, or a friend- you can then make that call on a case-by-case basis.

How can you make such calls on case by case basis ?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Marianne596 

You can set a charge of x$ per person above  certain number (say, 4). 

But I agree with Sarah... 4 is plenty for your listing. Any more is only inviting trouble. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Marianne596 

I'd also like to point out that guest comfort will always be >your< problem.

More than 4 in your place will start bordering on uncomfortable. If they bring 6 and are uncomfortable (even if their own fault), then it will likely be reflected in their reviews, if not an occasional cancellation after arrival for "misrepresentation" of the accommodation. 

So, I'd recommend not encouraging this.