Screening Questions?

Denelle1
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Screening Questions?

I'm brand new to Airbnb and I've had a couple of requests from people with no Airbnb history - 0 reviews. Today I have one from someone that joined only yesterday and has no reviews. The person didn't send a message or anything, just a request to book for a month! They also only have one verification (not sure which one or what that means really). Any advice on how to deal with these situations?

Also, when people send an inquiry it seems that I have to decline their request. It has happened where I respond to the person's question but then they don't respond back - so the only option is for me to invite them to stay or decline. Since I haven't screened at all in this situation I don't want to invite them to stay - so I decline. But what reason should I use?

Thank you so much 🙂

3 Replies 3
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Denelle1  Firstly, do not decline any inquiries if you don’t want to take that person.   You are not required to accept or decline them.  You are only required to respond to maintain your response percentage.  Answer the questions promptly and send your own questions to them. If they don’t respond, just leave it alone. They haven’t given you the information to make a decision.  

As far as newbies to AIRBNB, we often feel negatively towards new accounts because - yes, there are scammers out there and partiers and the like. Remember everyone was new once, so don’t make that the deciding factor for declining a stay. It’s a small consideration to take into account with everything else.  

It’s a bit of training on the host’s part with some people about communication. Some act like they are booking a hotel. They just assume they will automatically book it, no questions asked. 

If they have a verification, it means their ID or email or phone has been verified. That’s a good thing.  But yes, no reviews is a negative.

I often get these these types of requests from folks who are trying to find a place for an out of town work assignment and a hotel is just not the best for a lengthy stay. Find out more information such as why are they planning a month long stay. If it’s a situation where they are searching for housing or “have to be out of their apartment”, this may be a red flag. If it’s a work assignment, this may be fine.  

As you are new to AIRBNB, consider whether you are comfortable with a month long stay right now. If that was your goal, all good. If not, you may want to reset your length of stay to a shorter time period.  

Just get more information for your inquiries or requests. Use your sixth sense. Anytime I’ve gone against it, I’ve been wrong and regretted it.  If you decline, be as honest as you feel but professional. 
“Apartment is not suited for guest’s needs”

”Guest has not responded to host’s questions.” 
“Guest has indicated use contrary to house rules.”

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Denelle1   You only have to accept or decline an actual reservation request.  I have no idea why Airbnb still has decline feature for inquiries.  All you have to do is respond within 24 hours.

When I get single sentences from people with no reviews, and no profile I say something like 'It looks like you are new to  Airbnb and your profile is blank.  Can you give us a little more information, such as where you are traveling from, if you're arriving by plane or car, who you are traveling with and the reason for  your visit.

This will then either wake them up out of their funk and you'll get a good, detailed response, or if the responses continue to be weird or vague or they never answer you, then if it's a request you can just decline it.  Most of the time it triggers people to become more present and start communicating on a better footing.

Denelle1
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Thank you both. That is very helpful!