Abnb getting really expensive

YoungJoo3
Level 1
Ann Arbor, MI

Abnb getting really expensive

I have tried to find a place in Atlanta area for my five-day travel in December, 2023, but I ended up to reserve a hotel instead.  The "facical" cost of five-night sleep for most of places was lower than most of outside hotels (not motels).  However, after including cleaning fee, service fee, and taxes (mostly around 20% of the cost), the final prices became 45-75% more than the original cost, which became equivalent to or more than the hotels'.  Is this normal these days and for most areas?  Or, are Abnb, host and/or local goverments carzy to rake travelors' money?

31 Replies 31

"Behave like me" ....... what do you mean by that?  I am clean and treat my hosts with respect, whether I stay in a room in someone's home or at a campground or at a motel.  I am clean and respectful and I almost always write a positive, detailed review after my stay is complete.

I do not want to rent airbnb from anyone who is "in business". 

I want to rent from regular people who have a spare room in their house that they rent for some extra spending money, the way AirBnB was when the started out.  Things didn't NEED to change with the way AirBnB operates, it only changed because so many people got greedy and used it as a "business opportunity".   But that was not AirBnB's roots at all.  Many of us love the AirBnB concept the way it was originally operated.  Why do you seem to be so against that old way of doing things?  

@Tom4563 I think you misunderstood @Mike-And-Jane0 comment. 
I guess what was meant was that if Airbnbs are too expensive in the long run they won’t last. I don’t think @Mike-And-Jane0 got any problems with how Airbnb used to be - correct me if I’m wrong @Mike-And-Jane0 ☺️