Abnb getting really expensive

YoungJoo3
Level 1
Ann Arbor, MI

Abnb getting really expensive

I have tried to find a place in Atlanta area for my five-day travel in December, 2023, but I ended up to reserve a hotel instead.  The "facical" cost of five-night sleep for most of places was lower than most of outside hotels (not motels).  However, after including cleaning fee, service fee, and taxes (mostly around 20% of the cost), the final prices became 45-75% more than the original cost, which became equivalent to or more than the hotels'.  Is this normal these days and for most areas?  Or, are Abnb, host and/or local goverments carzy to rake travelors' money?

18 Replies 18

@Mike-And-Jane0 Yes, that could be the problem. I don’t know. Maybe one of the moderators know or Airbnb CS can answer that question. 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

That's just a blanket statement and doesn't apply to all airbnbs. My airbnbs are priced on the low end and are very affordable. 

I have heard that airbnb prices are kinda crazy in USA though, and sometimes higher than hotel. Not sure about that...

My strategy would be to book hotel if the price is similar to hotel, and then book airbnb if the prices are significantly cheaper. 

Edit: Just compared the prices for one of my rooms to a cheap hotel on expedia.ca. It's about like 1/3 of the price of a hotel room. 

Sam7385
Level 2
Kirkland, WA

I used to have so much fun renting riverfront airbnb's near me to get out of the city when it was affordable 3-5 years ago. The same places now cost similar to a trip to Hawaii for a simple weekend. It also is tough to pay so much to check in at 4pm or later on day 1 and leave by 11 am on day 3, after spending all morning meeting rental requirements. It feels like one day of enjoyment for way to much money. I get excited to look and leave the app discouraged and frustrated. There is also a lack of places to rent which means people are still somehow okay renting places for a weekend that are equivalent to Hawaii trips or week-long stays using hotels. It's a bummer to rent in Washington or the PNW. 

@Sam7385 Sadly the price of pretty much everything has gone up in recent years. I guess local places can charge similar prices to Hawaii because guests do not have the expense of getting there.