Advise and Support Needed After a Bedbug Nightmare

Zike2
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Advise and Support Needed After a Bedbug Nightmare

Hello Airbnb Community,

I'm in a stressful situation and could really use some advice or support from anyone who's been in a similar boat. Here's what happened during my recent Airbnb stay.

So, picture this: I wake up one morning during my stay, and I'm covered in bedbug bites. Yep, all over! It was as bad as it sounds, and totally caught me off guard.

I let the host know the same day, and what happened next? I was asked to put all my stuff in a garbage bag and leave the place next day, with 8 days left in my original booking. Now, I'm out of there with nowhere to go and still no confirmation from Airbnb support on what's going to happen with the rest of my booking days.

So, I'm reaching out to you all:

• Has anyone else dealt with something like this? How'd you handle it?
  • Any tips on how to get Airbnb to expedite the support process?
  • What compensation I should request from Airbnb for this whole mess?

I'm hoping that sharing my story might not just help me figure this out, but also provide a reference for future Airbnb guest who have to go through this kind of nightmare. Thank you so much for reading this. Any advice or shared experiences would be super appreciated!

Regards,

Zike

(Apologies for the disturbing pictures below. It's proof of my belongings put in a garbage bag, and one part of the bug bites)

Zike2_1-1700307528820.png

**[one of the image removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Zike2, I am so sorry to hear about the overall situation you had to go through due to this instance with bed bugs and I cannot imagine how much worrying this would have been for you.

From your post, it seems like you are in touch with Customer Support team. I have also shared your concerns and details you've shared, for them to have a look at the situation. Hope you hear from the team soon!

Also, please note that I had to remove one of the images in line with the Community Center Guidelines.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Bhumika , thanks for your reply. In the past 24 hours, I have interacted with five support agents, yet no resolution has been provided. It is extremely frustrating to repeatedly explain my situation. I kindly request your assistance in escalating this issue, as I have now checked out since the host demanded. Currently, I am interacting with a support agent named Jose.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If a doctor has verified it is indeed bed bugs then you should  provide  airbnb with their diagnosis and ask Airbnb to put you in a hotel for the remaining period . @Zike2 

they should cover transfer costs to the hotel and laundry costs . You can also ask for a 20% discount for the days you have stayed at the property since you noticed the infection 

obviously you shouldn't go to another STR or you will take bed bugs there .

Unfortunately  bed bugs are on the rise and guests do spread them around .