Advise how to work with a guest that does not respond to the host's messages. Guest asked to help him out by allowing access to Airbnb property at hours before check-in time

Answered!
Sonia1589
Level 2
New York, NY

Advise how to work with a guest that does not respond to the host's messages. Guest asked to help him out by allowing access to Airbnb property at hours before check-in time

Hi...my husband and I are newbies in the Airbnb platform.  We are hosting our 4th family in our Puerto Rico winter vacation home.  This guest is puzzling us, and we hope to pick your brain for advise.  This guest, arrives to Puerto Rico SJU Airport with wife and two toddlers at 11 p.m.  By the time he picks his rental and heads to our rental, he says will be 1-2 a.m.  Check-in is at 3 p.m.  He asks us to "help him out with this".  We replied with Thank you for choosing our airbnb.  And later realized what he was asking, not to access the property 1 or 2 hrs before check-in, but many more hours.  We've just reduced our fee by half, plus included other discounts if the guest books for more days.  We responded with, they'd have to book the day before in order to gain access, otherwise we can cancel their reser ation and that we'd understand in the event they decided not to book the extra day.  I also mentioned someone else could book that day, since the calendar was open.  His reply, if the place does not get booked, can we allow them access!  I find this request as audacious on his behalf.  Are we being unreasonable?  I messaged them to see if they found our place, if all is fine...we get crickets...How should we move forward.  They are new to Airbnb...1 other booking...🤔  We are all ears.  Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sonia1589  If you know that your guests are flying in, ask for their plane arrival date and time.  Then you will be aware of what their needs are with respect to arriving at your rental, and you can "discount" the half-night (which I would never do).    

If a guest is flying in and arriving at 11PM, then they should book for the same day as their plane trip.  Guests cannot expect to arrive in the wee hours of the morning and check in UNLESS they have booked that night -- not the "next day" expecting to check in any time after midnight.  Hotels will ask the guest to book the night of their arrival, or they can sit in the lobby until the 3 PM check in.

This guest should have been told to find a hotel for the night.  Their poor planning is not something that you should be jumping to accommodate.  As a new host you will want to make your guests happy, but in this instance the guest was the problem.  

The lack of further communication should tell you that this guest will probably not leave a nice review -- be prepared, and DO NOT let whatever they say get to you.  You can be factual -- "The guest did not book for the day of their arrival on the island, but for the day after.  We were unable to accommodate this last minute (2 AM) change".

Never explain or make excuses to a guest.  They have booked for Date X to Date Y and they may check in at 3 PM on Date X.  Period.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Sonia1589 Maybe pass this on to Airbnb or ring the guest on the number they should have left. A local co host is very important in this type of situation . You can send a variation for an extra night before the guest arrives, but not after as the day is already gone . This is partly caused by you not being nearby,and is obviously an issue. It would be wise going into the future to remind all guests that they must have a 'working phone at all times,and to answer all host initiated texts in a timely fashion', . Rememnber to copy all text messages into the messaging system as many guests do not use the APP.... H Try and get your co host or whoever you use nearby to go to the house and liase with the guest... all the best .. H

Thank you @Helen744, note taken.  We appreciate your advise and will add to our rules

Best @Sonia158

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sonia1589 we have a 3 strikes type approach to our house rules. Just because a guest does something stupid once we don't update our rules. If 3 guests do it then we do. If you update your rules for everything that happens they will read like War and Peace.

We take a similar approach to requests for utensils/furnishing etc unless it is a no brainer. As a result we don't provide a juicer or rice cooker.

Hi Helen744.  We have someone there that manages our place.  We understand person on Vacation wishes to unplug is/are getting away and perhaps do not want to be fussing with gadgets, electronic devices...We have verified the person(s) have arrived and are enjoying "the simple life" our motto...😊🙏👍😁👌Thank you for your awesome advise.  You are most appreciated for caring to answer!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest wants to stay the night before then they need to book it they can't expect to access the accommodation for free @Sonia1589 

@Helen3, 🙏😊 Thank you.  So we are not crazy for requesting this of him. We included in the Airbnb platform, if this was not possible, we could cancel the reservation with a full refund, so as to give him ample time to book with another Airbnb...and a smiley face and prayer hands, no hard feelings we understand.  Also, we would allow access upto two hours before check-in (3 p.m.)  His reply, I will keep my original booking.  We are not unreasonable folks.  We love hosting, and we love our place in Puerto Rico, and would love to share with the world why we love our place.❤❤❤😁@Helen3. You have been wonderful!  Thank you a whole bunch!!!🙏😊👍

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sonia1589  If you know that your guests are flying in, ask for their plane arrival date and time.  Then you will be aware of what their needs are with respect to arriving at your rental, and you can "discount" the half-night (which I would never do).    

If a guest is flying in and arriving at 11PM, then they should book for the same day as their plane trip.  Guests cannot expect to arrive in the wee hours of the morning and check in UNLESS they have booked that night -- not the "next day" expecting to check in any time after midnight.  Hotels will ask the guest to book the night of their arrival, or they can sit in the lobby until the 3 PM check in.

This guest should have been told to find a hotel for the night.  Their poor planning is not something that you should be jumping to accommodate.  As a new host you will want to make your guests happy, but in this instance the guest was the problem.  

The lack of further communication should tell you that this guest will probably not leave a nice review -- be prepared, and DO NOT let whatever they say get to you.  You can be factual -- "The guest did not book for the day of their arrival on the island, but for the day after.  We were unable to accommodate this last minute (2 AM) change".

Never explain or make excuses to a guest.  They have booked for Date X to Date Y and they may check in at 3 PM on Date X.  Period.

@Lorna17. Yes to all of the above@👍😁👌🙏😊.  We are getting ready.  His wife's family live in the same area our vacation home's located.  They had enough time to make other arrangements.  Our place is in such a beautiful location, the vistas, fresh air and the loud serenity that wreaks from that mountain will...hopefully...give him pause to alter his mind for the positive.  But, should he choose to write a not so good review, I will take the clinical approach and state the facts of events as they emerged.  Lorna17 ❤❤❤😁👌🙏😊  Thank you for your advise and assistance!!!  You are a doll!