AirBnB Support and the AirCover Policy have failed us

Russell360
Level 2
Kansas City, MO

AirBnB Support and the AirCover Policy have failed us

Since December 26th, the day after our check-in for what had hoped to be a nearly three month holiday, has turned into more of a nightmare in dealing with AirBnB Support.    The basis of the issue with the property (mis-represented location, poor maintenance, and poor Host) was the reason for reaching out to Support, but honestly this has become the bigger issue.   It seems that the AirBnB business model is one that does not allow Support to answer Guest questions.   The model also appears to not allow a Support agent to honor a request by the Guest, to escalate an ongoing issue with AirBnB Management.      I'm not sure how this model is going over, but it has certainly left an impression on me/us.     

A very highlevel summary:   We first reported the property mis-representation and maintenance to AirBnB, then to the Host as directed.  After the Host reluctantly and with attitude did address a few basic items, we asked AirBnB Support a few simple logical questions on how we might exit and find alternate hosting.   This seemed simple enough after reading the AirCover policy.   After ten days and over nine Support agents being involved, they ignored our pleads to just answer these very simple logical questions about how we could proceed.    By the time the ten days had passed, our opportunities to rent alternate property in this area were mostly passed, as most hosts for long term stays require three months.   I proceeded to find our own alternative property and was advised that we would have to live our thirty day notice in this property.   I continued to question why the AirCover policy didn't apply, but remember questions don't get answered by Support.

This week, now five weeks into being at the original property, I wanted answers to questions about our treatment by AirBnB Support, and what the purpose of having a policy (AirCover), if the policy wasn't applied to support Guest issues.    The result of asking six quesitons around those topics has resulted in the exact same response..... No Answers.   Support ignores my ask, passed the issue on to the next shift, claims they are there to support, but yet refuses to escalate my request and answer those questions.    Yesterday we came to a stalemate.   I stated that I appreciated the offer to address the property issues, but first - as the paying Client/Guest I wanted answers to my questions to AirBnB.    Since then, now well over thirty hours, no response in the open Case.   

Please advise why the AirBnB business model for Support would take this approach to further inflict issues, when they are already dealing with issues with the property or Host?  

I also still want my questions answered and I'd like discuss further the offer that would allow us to exit early.   Haven't we suffered enough?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Russell360 Two thoughts:

1) Airbnb must save a fortune in support costs by not having an escalation process. Presumably the amount saved exceeds the amount lost by pissing off guests and hosts alike.

2) It won't make you feel better but hosts also get poor support so at least you (and other guests) are not being picked on.

And one extra - Try and do a deal with the host to leave without penalty. Formalise this with support rather than hoping they will come up with a solution.

@Russell360 

Airbnb is a platform that connects hosts and guests. When guest have issues , it is always the best to solve it amicably with the host. If host can’t solve the issue, then you escalate to Airbnb. However, to me, Airbnb is just a hub for reservation fares. Besides monetary refund, you can’t expect much out of Airbnb support. What can a hourly waged support do, besides refund? honestly nothing. 

When you’ve done things in reverse order by alerting Airbnb support without talking to your host 1st, you can only expect the negative response from your host. it actually makes things worse when your expectation isn’t about money. 

So, as an airbnb guest myself, i ve always learned to 1) try to keep the reservation as is 2) ask your host for refund for things you aren’t happy3) leave the reservation if you are truly unhappy. 

And, reduce your expectations of Airbnb support. it literally can’t do much except refunding. 

Yes, I had informed the host, then the task was on AirBnB.

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Russell360,

It is always recommended to try to work things out with a host, and if there is not a suitable response to reach out to Airbnb which is why you pay fees for their support. However if the host is unresponsive or unreasonable then reach out quickly to Airbnb to resolve the issue. Too often I’ve read bad experiences from hosts and guests alike similar to your situation and I’m sorry for the run around you have been given. 

Perhaps our community host managers @Bhumika @Paula @Rebecca can send your issue to the right support team to hopefully break the cycle of frustration and run around to your questions and actually get a resolution. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you.  After nearly six weeks of frustration with Support,  holding AirBnB to thier AirCover policy and thier offer. Just yesterday we made progress.

The sad thing is that thier lack of answering simple questions and constant handoff of a case took its toll on our holiday.

I appreciate your recommendation.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm sorry you've had such an awful experience. I think the best outcome for you in this situation is to negotiate with the host to allow a penalty free cancellation for you so you can find a property that better suits your needs @Russell360 

Airbnb support for guests and hosts is minimal and arbitrary . 

work with the host will be your best solution.