Airbnb Scammers

Answered!

Airbnb Scammers

6/27/24

Airbnb is a horrible company not customer friendly.  My credit card number was stolen from overseas, I am located in New York, reservations were made from oversees to San Francisco.  I don't have an Airbnb account. Monday 6/24/24 my cc was charged $2,654.82 for a stay in San Francisco from 7/1 - 7/30.  I have  been calling since Monday, each time I'm on the phone for 3 hours.  I explained, even sent screen shots of the information that they have requested but no refund yet.  I'm getting the run around by Airbnb.  I'm told that they will contact me via phone by their "Special Unit" but no one has contacted me. They only contact me via email requesting the same information since Monday but nothing being resolved in me getting my refund back.  Customer service told me it isn't his problem that my cc number was stolen. I suggest they use the email that was used by the person who stole my cc number to cancel the reservation.  Do not do business with Airbnb they are a company that is really terrible company, customer service stinks, they barely speak English.  I need to my refund and no one is helping.  Airbnb is not a good company DONT USE AIRBNB EVER, NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING. THEY ARE SCAMMERS AS WELL. I'm disgusted the way I was treated by Airbnb that they will refund my money. DONT USE AIRBNB.

1 Best Answer

Credit card company is in turkey they reverse it, your company has to do it

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Kristina731

You can contact your credit card company to reverse a fraudulent transaction. Hope it helps!

Credit card company is in turkey they reverse it, your company has to do it

Credit card Company is in Istanbul Turkey they CANT reverse it it has tobe done by AIRBNB. I WANT MY REFUND, THIS ISNOT RIGHT. ON 7/1 THESE SCAMMERS ARE GOING TO STAY IN FRANCISCO FOR A MINTH ON MY CREDIT CARD. I WILL REPORT COMPnt to better business bureau. 

CREDIT CARD COMPANT CANT REVERSE CHARGES THEY ARE IN ISTANBUL TURKEY. HEY TOLD ME AIRBNB HAS TO REVERSE CHSRGES. THIS IS NOT RIGHT SCAMMERS WILLBE THERE 7/1 FOR MONTH ON MY CC. PLEASE REFUND MY AMOUNT ASAP. I WILL REPORT YOU TO BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.

Danielle1757
Level 2
New York, United States

I recommend doing what Shelley suggested. 

This wasn't due to AirBnb this was due to someone having your credit card number. If it had been a hotel you would be in the same situation. If it had been $1,000 at Target, same thing.

Report it as fraudulent NOW to your bank/credit card company. They'll get you new card number and reimburse the charge. AirBnb will be contacted to provide any information they have on the person who used it but the bank will not be looking at AirBnb, they did nothing wrong. AirBnb isn't giving YOU this information because its against their privacy policy, it's not their responsibility to go after fraudulent charges, and frankly you're a small fish. It's your banks responsibility and they're big fish.

This article has a ton of examples where fraud (not just identity theft) are examples of exceptions to the Privacy Act: https://www.justice.gov/opcl/overview-privacy-act-1974-2020-edition/disclosures-third-parties#:~:tex...

If you've asked for information about this person, the reason AirBnb isn't providing it is because its against their privacy policy. It is federal law that 

Your bank is going to go after that person that stole your identity (yes that is what this is). That person will have to prove that they had consent to use your card, know you, etc. Obviously they're not going to be able to. 

If you report it in a timely manner, the bank is very very understanding. If you wait, they're not as understanding.

All AirBnb knows is that the card worked. If someone can provide the necessary information in terms of the name on the card, card number, expiration date, security code, and at least zip code of the billing address (full address vs. zip code can vary by vendor) they're going to accept it. 

Take it from someone who has had this happen to them. I also think it's worth considering my comment about Target. Target would tell you the exact same thing.

It's not AirBnb, it's because someone has your CC details, probably your zip code, and at worst your billing address.

Also if you have this card in hand and it's not missing... I would think about how they got it. Where is that card saved? An online clothing store (it me)? Etsy (it me)? Something got hacked for sure if you have the physical card.

I spoke to credit company already, it's an oversees credit card company.  It doesn't work they way it works here.

So the credit card company doesn’t go after fraudulent charges? 

Weird but okay. I have 0 idea how they’re in business unless it’s just what is available in Turkey. 

I’m reading the updates - but reversing the charges is not something a bank will do either sooo if that’s what you asked for vs. filing a dispute for a fraudulent charge that might be your issue.

Or it’s just not the US. Anyways!

Your next option is small claims court: https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=small%20claims%20court&tbm=&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5#vhid=zephyr:0&vssi...

You can file online.

Orrr actually if it’s a Visa Or Mastercard - they have customer service phone numbers too.

If the bank in Turkey won’t help you try them.

If it’s not a Visa or Mastercard - go after whatever it is if the bank is truly useless.