Airbnb flagging all my bookings as Party Risk

Danny627
Level 5
San Jose, CA

Airbnb flagging all my bookings as Party Risk

twice in a row that a potential guest had to reach out to me about them not able to book my place as their account was flagged as a party risk. The first guest who happened to check out yesterday ended up having to use another person in the group to book the place and turned out to be excellent guests that only needed a place to sleep at night for a work convention. 

This morning, I spent nearly 2 hours trying to get a guest through the same issue. Several calls to Airbnb support by both the guest and myself but no resolution and support kept on trying to say they are trying to protect me by flagging any reservation that have more than 5 or 6 guests. We have 4 bedrooms and can host 11 guests, it's natural that we have 6 or 8 parties on the booking. 

I wonder how much business I've lost due to this when a guest doesn't notify me of the issues. 

I asked for a supervisor to call me back and I have a feeling the conversation will be the same. This is becoming fustrating and I'd bet that whatever Airbnb is doing is causing me to loose out on businesses. 

update: The guest just notified me that they were able to book with another host using the same reservation criteria with no problem. FWIW This guest only have 1 review, 5 stars and been around since 2019. 

9 Replies 9

Hi @Danny627 

Was the person trying to book a local? Have you had any problems with "parties" before at your listing? 

Otherwise, one wonders why guest was able to book another property using the same guest profile (unless the other listing had not "party issues in the past)? 🤔

Airbnb support said there is absolutely no issue with my listing. It is on the guest end which is extremely contradicting. 

I had one party issue when I first started but no complaints from neighbors, I actually asked Airbnb for help. It was my first maybe 2nd guest when I first started. but otherwise no issues

@Danny627 

Do you know if this guest was local?

@Joan2709 It doesn't say but I have locals booking my place quite a bit. 

But on the same note, they are able to book with another host nearby.

@Danny627 

Hmmmm...I am out of ideas then. Of course, you can't be sure the same guest was able to book another property (even though they said they did). Perhaps they had another person in the group book like you mentioned? 

In any case, only Airbnb has the specifics as to why. The only cases I have seen flagged by Airbnb are generally:

- Local, last minute booking

- Usually a one night stay (looks like you have a 2nite min)

- Previous issue with "parties" 

- Spring Break time frame

Yeah me neither Airbnb promised a call back within 3 hours and I'm not getting any call. I went through most of November and December with no booking I wonder how much of it was related to this issue. Can't be a coincidence that I have two guests in a row with the same issue. The last guest was on the other side of the country.. fortunately they were able to book using someone else account. 

This is getting annoying. They decided they were going to close my ticket with no follow up **

**[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that it is not allowed to share Airbnb private conversations]

Did they ever resolve this issue for you? This is happening with my new listing and I even tried to book my own house from another account and was flagged for a party…. My home sleeps 8. 

Hi I believe I read somewhere on one of the airbnb releases in years gone past, maybe just around pandemic, that they have an algorithmn that flags party risk bookings. I think it was a combination of age under 25, very few bookings, large group booking ie over a certain number of people and local. Don't quote me on the specifics but i was something like that. And caused by the huge amount of party disruption cases that arose during the pandemic.

I had the same case pop up and airbnb will not let the booking go through. It's there to protect you and airbnb from any issues. But I just asked the guest who reached out to find someone else in their booking not local to book, and there was no issues. Similar to what you did. I did ask for a little more detail on the booking just to comfortable which they provided. And i made sure they knew it wasn't a party house.

I think you will find guests will notify you (the ones you want!), highly unlikely you aren't finding out because they go to all that trouble to evaluate and try to book before they get flagged. So i don't think you are missing out on business. Honestly, the guests that are legitimate will want to stay, they'll find a way and prove to you that they will be kind to the property.  It kicks out those who are not legitimate. 

I find airbnb protects me more over VRBO for these reasons given large properties tend to attract the parties.  So personally, I appreciate what this algo does for me!

Hope this helps!

Regs

Mary