Airbnb refusing refund

Robin1482
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Airbnb refusing refund

My husband booked a long term (~6 week) rental for us while we are doing some renovations in our home. The first rental we booked abruptly canceled on us. The second rental was a dump. When we walked in, I knew I could not possibly live here for 6 weeks with 2 kids and husband. It was old, poorly kept, had an odor and was so uncomfortable. I tried to sleep there for one night but I couldn't sleep on the cheap mattress and linens provided. We packed up and left the next day, requesting a refund from the host. Host declined refund and we sent multiple messages to Airbnb. We were refunded 10% of 1 night's stay - a whole $13 on a nearly $5000 rental. Rental was WAYYY overpriced for its quality and somehow the host is a superhost. I have now taken it up with our credit card company. Any other advice to get our money back? Airbnb has been awful so far. I will likely never book through this site again. 

5 Replies 5
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Refund is processed according to the cancellation policy of the listing.

If the listing is set to flexible cancellation policy, then you can expect a full refund minus 1 or 2 nights. On other cancellation policies such as strict or firm, then a refund may not be given out. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you follow the guidance on your booking confirmation and raised the issues with evidence with the host ? What was the hosts response ? Did you cancel the booking? 

Airbnb will only refund under the cancellation policy you booked under (in your case a long stay) if you demonstrate the listing was not as advertised and the host either doesn't respond or admits they can't fix the issues you raised .

im afraid if you just packed up and left then you wouldn't be eligible for a refund 

@Robin1482 

Levi165
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Unfortunately, I've been on the end of both sides of this. Although it's common to feel that the outcome is "unjust" when it's against you, I think the undeniable truth is that Airbnb is extremely inconsistent, does a very poor job of dealing with things "in the moment," and will always prioritize Airbnb over everything, even Hosts' business and Guests' safety.

I had guests who broke rules and made desperate claims that were clearly frivolous, and in my last stay, I had a Host who had two broken bathrooms (out of 3) and who had private security harass us at 2am for hours when we reported the issues (including filming through bedroom windows), in what was so bad that the listing is suspended and the City of Seattle is investigating and Airbnb said "whoops, here's $300 of your $5,000 stay back." In both cases, I thought that I would be at least a little protected by documenting it well and communicating strongly in the moment (i.e. "the guest seems to be suggesting that they will request a refund, here's evidence" or "the Host is making us feel uncomfortable right now and we are seeking help from the Safety team." In both cases, it really didn't matter.

You will get ripped off by guests again. You might have one or two rulings that feel more fair, but make no bones about it -- the only way to not get screwed by Airbnb is by not using Airbnb. You're almost certainly better off renting long term as a landlord and relying on established housing laws, and getting a hotel from a real proprietor as a guest. There's a reason that Airbnb is seeing such a huge decline (and this is from a SuperHost who made about $900/night at 90% occupancy at the peak). 

Autumn11
Level 3
Salem, OR

I would call my bank and dispute the charge.  I would say it's not mine.   Seriously 5000 is alot of money!  I wonder if I know the Airbnb you stayed at, sounds like a real slumlord that I used to work for ..

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's not great advice @Autumn11 Airbnb can ban you from the platform for doing this . And the bank is unlikely to agree this as hosts and guests sign up to Airbnb's T&C on booking.