Anyone had a guest request a full refund and file a complaint with AirBnB after leaving positive review?

Anyone had a guest request a full refund and file a complaint with AirBnB after leaving positive review?

**Moved from the hosting board once I realized this board was hosts only***

I started AirBnB'ing a guesthouse that is in our backyard back in December and so far it has gone really well.  I had one issue last week that I'm pretty annoyed about....

I had a guest stay for one night.  When she and her friend arrived I had to go out front and show them exactly where to park (she hadn't read the house rules before arriving).  I told her then that I would be mowing the yard so that everything would be nice and neat for her stay.  She said 'great' and we both went on about our business.  I finished up the yard about 30 minutes later and went inside.  I noticed the guests enjoying the back yard well into the evening and the next morning.  When she left, she sent a note saying that she had a great time and the place was really great but that she could have used a sheet for the couch bed.  I noted that sheets were available and the location was listed on the house welcome sheet that is on the counter.  I also said to just let me know if she ever needed anything else during a future stay.  The next day she left me a positive review (5 stars) and said that the place was cute and the outside areas were great for watching the sunset.  

I left a review for her saying that she was a good guest, but was a little late on checkout.  On the ratings, I gave her 4 stars for cleanliness (there were some small messes left behind) and 5 stars in the other areas.  20 minutes after I submit my review (making them both public), I got a request from the guest for a full refund with a message that said 'AirBnB has been notified of this issue.'  I declined the request and replyed that I didn't have enough information about the issue and that since she had stayed the whole time and left a positive review, I could not issue a refund.  I provided details to AirBnB in the private section regarding her stay and my thoughts about the refund request being retaliation for me leaving a less than perfect review.  I immediately reached out to customer service to try and find out more details about the issue, but they didn't have anything to provide me at the time.

Nearly a week later I got an email from AirBnB that my account has been disabled until they could investigate the issue.  When I finally got a call from them, I found out that the guest had filed a complaint because she felt uncomfortable because I had mowed the yard.  I told the agent that I had in fact mowed the yard, but I had informed the guest beforehand and received positive affirmation that there was no issue with this.  Further, I was in a shared space the entire time and this type of activity is clearly spelled out in my listing.  I added that the guest had left me a positive review and did not raise an issue until she saw my review.  He said that he would continue his investigation and let me know the outcome.

A few hours later I received another email stating that the issue was resolved and that my account was turned back on.  It said that in the future I need to be more mindful of guests privacy and that I needed to review the AirBnB guidelines.  There is a note on my account to alert other agents that I have reviewed these guidelines.  

Has this type of issue happened to anyone else?  I feel like there is a black mark on my account because a guest raised an issue that was essentially baseless.  Are there any repercussions to guests who do this kind of thing or do we as hosts have to bear the burden of proof?  In this case I think the evidence speaks for itself, but I'm biased.

Anyhow, the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.  Before this, I was having a great time being a host and have received nothing but positive reviews.

Let me know what you think!

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Steve2924 

Rediculous guest....

What happened regarding the requested refund ?

I declined the request and haven't heard anything else about it.  Ridiculous guests here and there are to be expected....   being investigated for something like this is not.  I know that AirBnB has to take everything seriously, but I'd like to think they review all of the facts before disabling accounts or reaching out to hosts for details.  This one was pretty obvious if you looked at the timeline.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Steve2924 

Airbnb follow strict default procedures after complaints, you can find similar curious cases in this community.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Steve2924  Obviously this guest must have been new to AirBnB and as you pointed out, did not read about the listing prior to booking or arriving.  I also had a guest who was unhappy because she did not have the "privacy" desired.  We had a contractor doing a task on the adjoining property.  My spouse saw that the guest had not gone out (unusual) and informed the guest of the work being done and that it would be just about an hour  Our guest said "fine, no problem" and then dinged us in the review.  I am sorry that you had to go through a CS investigation.  May this never happen to you again.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Steve2924 oh for the love of Pete. 

We have landscapers who mow the grass and Orkin who sprays for mosquitoes in the summer. We are remote hosts and I do my best to coordinate these services so that they never disturb a guest. Once an Orkin van was leaving as a guest drove in (a half-hour before appointed check-in.) The guest was extremely upset that "toxic chemicals" might have been sprayed on the yard prior to arrival.  We do mention that we treat for insects on our listing, as many OTHER guests have complained if they even see a bug (on a rural wooded lot.) I replied that mosquitoes and are a common pest in our area in the summer and can pose a health risk to guests. If they preferred to have a different stay in the area I would be happy to call ABB and help facilitate finding one. Did not hear a peep after except a "thank you" but got dinged on location because the guest said "its very inconvenient to stay somewhere that mosquitoes are present. You need to do some organic forms of treatment or just use some kind of manual swatter." Okay. I will be sure to hang out and swat mosquitoes for everyone. Maybe fan them and feed them grapes too...

The moral of this story? Some people are very entitled. Some can't handle the slightest whiff of criticism. Some are envious that you have an extra space to rent and they resent that they have to pay to stay there. Some are just not super bright. Some lack reading comprehension skills. Luckily these are in the small minority. But they do make for some good hosting stories!

Very true points in your 'moral of the story'!!!  

@Steve2924  I don't know if you are aware, but guests cannot see the star ratings you leave them, only the written review. So if they were really bad guests and you left them 1* ratings, they don't know that.

So she was just reacting to not getting an absolutely perfect written review- how incredibly childish.

However, hosts who don't use IB also cannot see star ratings, we rely on the written reviews. So if there are things other hosts need to warned about, please do mention them in the written review so bad guests don't just get passed around to unsuspecting hosts.

And in the future, when guests book or request to book, if they don't make it evident in their messages that they have read all the listing info, house rules, where to park, etc, ask some questions to determine that, and reiterate the most important things they should know.

@Sarah977 yep we started putting an "Easter Egg" in our house rules-- a phrase that guests need to submit with their request. Its been working out so far. Maybe @Steve2924 can do something similar?

We also had a young lady freak that our review of her was not 100% glowing. She brought 5 guests and booked for 1. She threatened to "take away my 5 star review." Never did. Some people are just very immature. 

Good idea on the easter egg.  I may give that a try.  I've asked quite a few guests some leading questions about the rules, but just need to get better about following up on everyone.  Since I'm on site all the time, it's easy to straighten things out, but still would be easiest if everyone read the entire listing!!!

@Laura2592  There are some pretty funny youtube videos out there which satirize the millennial need for constant validation, constant praise, that their feelings about everything are hugely important, and the inability to accept any criticism. I have a 38 year old daughter who I see this attitude in- her 2 older siblings aren't like this at all.

But she grew up in the misguided self-esteem movement era, where teachers and parents (altho I was never a party to this) were led to  believe that children's self esteem is based upon having praise heaped upon them for something as simple as doing their expected chores or their homework, and that any expression of them needing to improve in some way is damaging.

So I do understand where this attitude comes from, I just wish they would grow out of it 🙂

I was not aware....  thank you very much for letting me know!  I'll make sure to be a bit more detailed in my written review when I need to. 

Yes, you are correct, over reaction to 'stayed a bit past checkout time.'  

What is 'IB'?

@Steve2924 Instant Book. Which I have never used- as a home-share host, I wouldn't want anyone to be able to book without having some communication with them first.