Asking for ID

Kyle1029
Level 1
South Saint Paul, MN

Asking for ID

I would like to require a photo id for my guests. I see posts that it must be on listing requirements. I can't seem to find where I should do this or how? I've searched for posts and looked all over my dashboard. Could someone guide me in the right direction please?  Thank you!

3 Replies 3
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Kyle1029 ,

I think it makes a lot of sense to require ID from people staying at a property. In Portugal, it’s mandatory, and I still have to explain it to some guests who are reluctant to cooperate. Make a note of when you added this requirement so you can see if it affects your bookings.

I also couldn’t find a specific place to mention it, so I added it under ‘Additional Rules’ in the House Rules section. In addition, I mention it again in the scheduled message I send to guests immediately after their reservation. I encourage them to send me copies through the chat in advance for a faster check-in process. All our check-ins are in person, so we ensure guests comply with this request. 

Consider planning ahead scenarios where guests make a reservation but refuse to provide ID, claiming they didn’t read the information. Will you still accept them? How would you handle these situations without negatively affecting your listing?

Personally, I think it should be mandatory, just like in hotels, where guests can’t check in without an ID. 

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Kyle1029 and @Guy991 

Just to add to Guy's great advice, there is in fact a box that you can tick on the Listing Editor to indicate to guests that you require a proper ID photo of guests.

==>On the Listing Editor you see three Lines on top of each other, just after the arrival guide.  Click on these to get to Edit Preferences as shown below:

All the best
Joëlle

Capture d’écran 2024-10-09 à 09.50.58.png

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Dear @Joelle43 

The profile photo can be anything; it is the small icon that appears with the reservation.
I hope he is referring to an actual official document with a photo. The profile photo is not an ID. 

Guy991_0-1728464020663.png