Bed bug scam

Answered!
Annicka4
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

Bed bug scam

Anyone dealt with a bed bug scam? And how did you handle it? With the guest, claims, and airbnb?

Two different pest control inspectors stated that they have seen a rise in bed bug scams at airbnbs (planting of a bed bug as well as being bribed with money to tell host that bed bugs are present when they are not). They also mentioned that one can buy bed bugs online. 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Annicka4 

Although Airbnb does not have an official bedbug policy, to their credit they are now proactive when it comes to bedbug complaints.

There was a timeline a few years ago when a class of 'guest' would routinely carry a supply of bedbugs, introduce them into the listing towards the end of their stay and claim a refund with the closure of the hosts listing until an exterminators all clear certificate was provided.

Now, that will only possibly work once! The first action when a bedbug complaint is now received will be to check the hosts previous reservations and to check the guests past history and those who have previously traveled with that guest. If the hosts history is clean and that guest has a history of an association with a bedbug claim previously, the claim will be rejected and the guest required to pay for any clean-up measures. 

It does still happen but, a guest only gets away with it once, and would be a fool to try it.

But you can not only just head off a guest claim Annicka, you can cheaply protect yourself from possible infestation.

I have a documented way to beat any possibility of bedbug claims. It is a proven fact bedbugs and their eggs will not survive at a temp of 50C (122F). All bed linens and towels after washing are put through a 30 minute dry cycle at 65C during the winter and during the summer I run over them with a 100C hand steamer, including mattress covers. Tefal have a good hand steamer priced at around $80 USD

Make a point of outlining your cleaning procedure in the house rules and have a card on the bedside tables saying this bed has been steam sanitized for your comfort and protection. I started this procedure with the onset of Covid 19 and have seen no reason to stop doing it!

Make sure your listing is not worth pushing the choke on, I have never had a claim and I don't ever expect to get one!

Cheers........Rob

@Asiatic0  @Helen3 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Asiatic0
Level 2
New York, United States

The scam was tried at my property.  Keep records of your extermination and preventative maintenance .  Good habit to do a random bug sweep so that you have documentation. 

Thank you. Certainly doing what you suggested. May I asked what happened to that guest who tried it? Were they charged for additional inspections due to false allegations?

Ours a few times since we have a nightly rental.  It has cost me thousands. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If a guest was to tell me there was bed bugs at the property I would  them to send me photo/video evidence and tell them that I would send out a pest control service to inspect the property.

If I felt the guests were trying to scam me I would let them know if the pest control team didn't find any evidence I would charge them for the call out fee for the service @Annicka4 

I wouldn't assume the guest was lying.

I presume you have covers on your beds to protect them against bed bugs etc.

Yes, I have all protective measures in place. 

Thank you for the info. 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Annicka4 

Although Airbnb does not have an official bedbug policy, to their credit they are now proactive when it comes to bedbug complaints.

There was a timeline a few years ago when a class of 'guest' would routinely carry a supply of bedbugs, introduce them into the listing towards the end of their stay and claim a refund with the closure of the hosts listing until an exterminators all clear certificate was provided.

Now, that will only possibly work once! The first action when a bedbug complaint is now received will be to check the hosts previous reservations and to check the guests past history and those who have previously traveled with that guest. If the hosts history is clean and that guest has a history of an association with a bedbug claim previously, the claim will be rejected and the guest required to pay for any clean-up measures. 

It does still happen but, a guest only gets away with it once, and would be a fool to try it.

But you can not only just head off a guest claim Annicka, you can cheaply protect yourself from possible infestation.

I have a documented way to beat any possibility of bedbug claims. It is a proven fact bedbugs and their eggs will not survive at a temp of 50C (122F). All bed linens and towels after washing are put through a 30 minute dry cycle at 65C during the winter and during the summer I run over them with a 100C hand steamer, including mattress covers. Tefal have a good hand steamer priced at around $80 USD

Make a point of outlining your cleaning procedure in the house rules and have a card on the bedside tables saying this bed has been steam sanitized for your comfort and protection. I started this procedure with the onset of Covid 19 and have seen no reason to stop doing it!

Make sure your listing is not worth pushing the choke on, I have never had a claim and I don't ever expect to get one!

Cheers........Rob

@Asiatic0  @Helen3 

Sean-And-Jenny0
Level 2
St Pete Beach, FL

We’ve dealt with the scam and we also had guests from Europe bring bugs into the space. We’ve spent thousands, so much that we are debating to getting a long-term tenant. 

our only solution is to pay an exterminator between guests to clear the space. This allows us to bill the guest of bugs are found in the space. 

The last claim I had threatened my review stating ants or bedbugs.  Two guests had stayed there since the request with no issues. I was not called during the stay only a day after.