Winter Release Q&A session

Broken Guest star rating

Answered!
Paul9891
Level 1
Frankfurt, Germany

Broken Guest star rating

So that's that then.

A string of nice comments from hosts until now until Airbnb secretly introduce a star rating for Guests and don't tell anyone.

Airbnb most certainly doesn't tell its users about it.

One crappy host (house had broken door & window latches, badly leaking kettle, loose / exposed wiring & to top it all lots of tacks sticking up out of a floor that hurt someone badly, yes we had to mention it as the host refused to listen to us) and I have unknowingly been given (I conclude) a bad star rating.

So all it takes is one vindictive host and your account is essentially broken.

You might as well delete your Airbnb account now??

Suddenly I can't book anything any more. I didn't know why all my requests to book were going unanswered. After some Google research I find out that this secret star rating is probably to blame. I can see from both sides of the star rating - both Guest and Host - is really broken. 

Top Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul9891 The Airbnb review system is by no means a secret. I suspect the review comments that you have from your last two stays are impacting your ability to book rather than any star ratings you have been given. Most hosts will look at the reviews rather than the stars as what is unacceptable to one host will be fine with another host.

View Top Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul9891 The Airbnb review system is by no means a secret. I suspect the review comments that you have from your last two stays are impacting your ability to book rather than any star ratings you have been given. Most hosts will look at the reviews rather than the stars as what is unacceptable to one host will be fine with another host.

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Hi @Paul9891! I understand how confusing it must be to come across something unfamiliar like a secret star rating on Airbnb, especially since I've never encountered this myself as a host. I'm truly sorry to hear that you're having trouble booking a listing as well. It can be really frustrating when things don't go smoothly. Perhaps reaching out to Airbnb's customer service could shed some light on this for you? They're typically quite helpful with these kinds of inquiries.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Paul9891  I've been hosting for eight years and have always been able to review guests and give them a rating just as, as a guest you can review and rate hosts.

I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  it's your previous reviews that are more likely to be giving hosts pause for concern.

Presumably when you book you message the host about your booking with an explanation of the last couple of reviews you received along with why you have chosen their place? If you did this as you have lots of positive reviews I would definitely consider you.

Patrick2816
Level 2
Denver, CO

Definitely not a secret. Overall is a pretty good system, it generally keeps the guest and the host from going berserk on each other, and keeps each other in check,  Of course there are crazy hosts and guests out there who are the exception. But you are able to dispute certain reviews in the case that it is retaliation or irrelevant.