Cancelation due to Emergency 4 days Prior to Check-in

Dottie21
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Cancelation due to Emergency 4 days Prior to Check-in

I have a guest who just canceled their reservation just 4 days to their check-in and is looking for a refund. They say it's an emergency. What do you guys do? My policy is firm meaning no refunds when it's that close. Please help 😞

8 Replies 8
Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

Your website states your cancellation policy and it is clearly specified in your listing. A family emergency does not negate the cancellation policy.  In the event that  you have  a strict cancellation policy, the guest can reach out to you and explain the circumstances and may or may not be willing  to refund.   A guest  has to keep in mind that the host may not be able to find another guest for the reserved date because the dates were blocked on your calendar.

Yeah, I feel sorry for them but I don't want to lose when it's only 4 days to the booking. I lost money 2 mths ago when another guest was ill. I know for sure I won't get a guest but.....I just wanted to have a feel about what most people do. She asked for a refund. Thanks for your response.

Hi @Dottie21 

I always write to the guest that with such short notice it is unfortunately not possible to refund as the calendar has been reserved so no one else could book. That their travel insurance might cover. I also explain that when the guest cancels the calendar will reopen and should new guests book any of the days - I will gladly refund what I was suppose to earn - but that I can’t unfortunately not refund the Airbnb fees etc. I then wish them well. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dottie21 we always offer a refund contingent on the guest cancelling asap and us being able to then re-let the dates.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Dottie21  You stick to your cancellation policy. That’s why you have one. You chose the one offered by Airbnb that suits your business best. Guests are also offered trip insurance at check out. If they didn’t purchase it was their gamble. 
We encourage every guest to purchase trip insurance and if they don’t and can’t make the trip I don’t feel bad about it. 
Some hosts will offer to refund any nights that get rebooked. It’s likely you won’t get rebooked in such a short time frame and then you will be brow beated  by the guest checking in with you every 6 hours to see if it rebooked. I don’t offer this for that reason. 

Karen

@Karen114 I just want to say - I haven’t experienced guests that did the ‘check in’ every 6th hours as you write - only guests that appreciated my offer!  And I have hosted for more than 10 years. 

Every time I have offered this that’s what would happen. I have been hosting for 14 years and decided not to offer that any longer. It was just too stressful as I felt it created another job for me scrambling to get the unit rebooked so I could offer them money back. 
A few years ago I created an automated message that goes out after booking explaining the benefits of trip insurance as well as links to various providers.  As I said if they don’t purchase and need to cancel I don’t have any remorse about it. 

Karen
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would just confirm to the guest that their cancellation will be processed under the cancellation policy they booked under @Dottie21 and suggest they should check with their travel insurance to see if their emergency is covered .