Changed mind about hosting pets - any tips on how to handle things?

Jill1199
Level 2
Bentonville, AR

Changed mind about hosting pets - any tips on how to handle things?

Hi,

I've only been hosting since July of this year and started to allow pets.  Already my first pet hosting damaged some of the weather stripping on the door and then a second hosting brought 2 larger dogs and there's dog hair everywhere.  I think I want to go back to not hosting pets.  I do charge a pet fee but I have several upcoming reservations that will be having pets.  Can I change my setting and keep those reservations?  Will I still get the pet fee I'm charging and no new reservations will be allowed pets?  I'm aware that people may tend to sneak in their pet.  I've already watched one guest sneak in a cat though if she would have told me, I would have been fine with it but since she snuck it in, I will no longer rent to her.  Sorry for the long post....just curious about how to handle this going forward. Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Jill1199,

Thanks for posting!

I've updated the title of your post just to clarify the question a bit, and hopefully one of our awesome members will be along soon to help you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

thank you!

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jill1199  yes, once you change your settings, any news bookings will have the "no pets" rule apply. Your existing bookings will stay as they were when booked. 

Thank you!  I'm still on the fence about dropping "pet friendly" so we'll see how it goes!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jill1199  Being pet friendly can be lucrative but is also a PITA.  Our little cabin is pet friendly, and we have had many guests with excellent pet manners.  I am talking about the owners who clean up after their pets, use our pet sheets to cover furniture and pay attention to leash and crate requests.  I love those folks!  We have also had those owners who don't care and have left a mess, but they are few and far between.   

You need to judge your tolerance for the extra cleaning and the potential for damage.  I have increased my nightly rate as well as the general cleaning fee, and I also charge a separate pet fee.  I set aside funds each month for repairs, and I do not go after my guests unless the repair expense is going to be in excess of X dollars -- for example, a new screen door torn off the hinges. My cleaner gets additional money when there is a pet, so she is happy too.  

It is up to you as to whether or not you continue to be pet friendly -- best wishes.

These are great ideas.  I did have a pet scratch up some lining on a door but I charge a pet fee that is non-refundable.  That was covered.  So far all renters have cleaned up after their pet.  So fingers crossed!