Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How to keep heating costs low?

How to keep heating costs low?

I just want to pick everyone's brain about how you manage the high energy bills. I've had few guests that are keeping our one bed annexe at 22-25 degrees constantly. It is a very small annexe so I think guests are being a bit extravagant. They come out wearing shorts almost like to get some fresh air after being in a sauna. Is it ok to tell them to keep the temperature to a certain limit or do I suck it up and tolerate it. 

2 Replies 2
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Lochana1  this is being discussed a lot in the forums, and i suspect with winter coming it's going to be an issue that keeps coming up. I recommend searching and reading the many discussions, people have all manner of different suggestions and that will be applicable to the UK and your style of heating. 

For me, we raised our prices during winter. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Lochana1 

It's a problem all over the world, even here in Phuket, Thailand our electric has gone up 300%, from next month the temperature will rise so the A/C will get hammered, here guest have the place like a fridge,

They just dont get it, leaving the doors and windows open does more damage, 

I have not much choice but to increase my rates and I added a cleaning fee for the first time, everything you need to run an airbnb has also gone up,

These day there are allsorts of smart gadgets you can buy to control your heating, contact a local company for advise.