Changing the Lockbox code

Becca1564
Level 1
Houston, TX

Changing the Lockbox code

Hello Airbnb Hosts!

My name is Becca and I have had an active property with Airbnb since 2018.  I have a question regarding the lockbox code.  

1)  How often do you change the code 

2)  Do you ever fear if a guest is unhappy with their stay (let's face it, you can't make everyone happy), they will return for some type of retaliation to your                property possibly when another guest is there?

3)  If you change the code every time, do you use their birthdate perhaps?

Thank you for your advice and I hope proven method of structuring the lockbox codes.

My best,

Becca 

9 Replies 9
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Becca1564 

As the vast majority of our guests arrive and leave by plane, I don't fear them returning to do something unsavoury. Most guests are really good and respectable anyway. Nonetheless, there's always the possibility they've given it to somebody else. And that's worth protecting against. 

But we have an automated key code system that changes the key code on morning of departure. It automatically extracts the last 4 digits of the phone number used in the booking, and that becomes their key code from checkin time throughout their stay. Also keeps logs of when it's used and snaps a photo at the gate, so if there's ever any question about who and when they entered... 

Also, we have various (trusted) service people who have their own codes, and know very well it's logged, so they know better than to give it to others. 

@Elaine701 what is the name of this system?

@Boris-and-Jorgette0 

My husband is a hardware-software engineer. He custom built it. But I suspect there's similar products on the market. Especially for commercial applications (which of course, means more expensive than your average Ring doorbell). 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Becca1564    I have a "dumb" keypad lock where the code has to be physically changed while standing at the door.  It stores up to 4 different codes.  Either I or housekeeping will set the code for the next guest during the turnover cleaning and at the same time we remove the previous (departed) guest's code.  For guests, I use a variety of numbers, such as the guest arrival date or the guest cell phone number.  I track the assigned codes on the reservation notes.   Housekeeping and I have a master code.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Becca1564 

You really need to change the door code AFTER EVERY BOOKING!

Almost too simple answer to door code question  ......  Use the last 4 digits of the guests cell number from there reservation booking information.  No other guest would have access to that info.😉

There is likely a huge insurance liability if you don't and something happens.

We have a digital keypad from Honeywell, just our preference, that is extremely easy for guests to use.  AND It stores up to 50 codes.

@M199 What model system from Honey well. I am looking for a locking system that allows me to change the code remotely, is powered by electricity not battery, and won't rust since the house is a beach property. Thank you

We use the same keyless system... but with a Schlage lock... I can change it remotely.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Change the code for each new guest. I also change the deadbolt lock every so often. I have a rotation of deadbolt locks.

Not worried about people returning, unless they forgot something and return the same day. I don't have people checking in the same day as people checking out, so that wouldn't be a big deal. Hasn't happened yet.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

1. Every guest has it's own code.

2. No.

3. I'm using the last digits of the guest's phone number as a code.