Check in time

Check in time

Guest still wants to check in earlier than the listed check in time, even though I've made it quite clear that this won't be possible, what do I do?

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Samuel740  we often have requests for late check-in. When I say late - I mean really late, like midnight or later. It is due to late flights.

As we are off-site hosts this is really inconvenient to us so I state at my house rules we can do it but we charge it 10€ per hour post our check-in time. It means if they want to check-in at 11 M it would be 40€ more, at midnight 50€ .... It works, they mostly cancel their booking. The thing is - guests either don't read or do read but don't care so they are not ready to pay for the host's inconvenience.

So, if you can accommodate early check-in I would suggest you charge for it. If you can't then just say you can't because you are at work or you have previous guests checking out the same day and you need time to clean.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Samuel740 @Take the opportunity to introduce the guest to places to go, things to do and places to eat near-by. Provide the business names along with website links. This gives them ideas of what to do with their time while waiting for check-in. If possible you could offer luggage drop off! 

@Katrina79  yes, that's exactly what we do with early-check-in requests

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Samuel740  Keep saying no.  You could call their bluff and tell them if they aren't able to wait until your check-in time you would be happy to contact Airbnb for a neutral cancellation.

I never apologize anymore for these kinds of things...I would say something like 'As is stated in the listing and messages we've exchanged, unfortunately early check-in is not possible given the schedule'.  

No. Just no. I have guests coming next week who mentioned they are arriving at 10:30 am (my check-in is 3pm). And oh - by the way - they're leaving at 6pm on the last day.

This is how it starts. No reviews but did answer all my questions. Airbnb needs to do a better job educating their guests to behave the way they would if they were booking a hotel. This (need an extra day) garbage is getting old.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Samuel740  Guests can tell you they want you to prepare them a gourmet dinner, but that doesn't mean any such thing will happen.

Guests don't get to insist on arriving whenever it's convenient for them. If a guest asks nicely if you can accommodate an earlier check-in, that's one thing- either you can or you can't, but they need to accept the answer, not tell you they are going to arrive at their preferred time anyway.

You don't need to make excuses or apologies for upholding your rules. Just say no and if they don't like it, they can cancel.