Check out

Check out

So today I show up to clean my beach house 10mins after check out time, and the renters are still there in their pajamas eating breakfast. I said “hi I’m here to clean” and they were like “don’t mind us, we’ll start packing up while you clean”.

I guess they didn’t recognize me, which I’m absolutely fine with, because the young lady (about 30yo or so) comes up and hands me a few dollars tip and says “this is for you”. Lol! 

is this relaxed checkout behavior normal? I’m new to the community and each booking seems to come with a surprise. I have the times on my listing and keep a printed copy of all check out instructions in a conspicuous guidebook at the house. 

3 Replies 3
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Kathleen1121 

I think as a Host you have to let guests know if your check out time is fluid or more scheduled  Many of us don't do a same day turn around so a late check out is a minor inconvenience but many others do and it is a major inconvenience.  It is just a matter of communicating to the guest  What your schedule is.

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Kathleen1121 ,

You've mentioned that you have check-out instructions. Consider sending them to the guest a day before check-out, reminding them of the check-out time and procedure. Also, consider mentioning that if they want a late check-out, they should check with you in advance, as it depends on availability. You can also add that there might be an additional charge, but this part depends on your hosting style.

Consider automating the message so you don't have to think about it.

In my experience, guests start to wonder about check-out early in the afternoon the day before, so this is when my automated message is sent.

When guests take a long time to leave, you can use a method I read in the community a while ago (sorry, I don't remember who wrote it). Explain that you have to start cleaning because you have another check-in the same day, and then turn on the vacuum cleaner. This will rush the guest to leave. 
Although I have never had to use it, it sounds (literally) like a good idea to me. 

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Kathleen1121 

Never had this problem and like you I am the cleaner but then I always send my guests a message the day before reminding them of my check out time and if they could let me know what time they are leaving if it's before.  I also give them instructions on where to leave the keys and to double check that the front door is properly closed.  Sounds basic I know but have turned up to find the door of the apartment open😱 My heart stopped but all was OK thank goodness.

We live and learn all the time Kathleen on Airbnb😅

All the best

Joëlle