Critters in the attic

Nicole2592
Level 3
Loxahatchee, FL

Critters in the attic

Hi all! We are new to hosting and came across our first little problem. 
Our guests very politely informed us that they hear critters in the attic. We immediately called an inspector and are trying to get them out tomorrow. Of course they have to do an inspection first and then come back another day to work on the house. The guests messaged up again today asking if they were able to get rid of them. 

I want to make sure they are happy so I offered to help them find another home & refund remaining day or offer a discount on their stay. We have another home I wish we could offer but have guests there. What would you guys offer for a discount or expect as a guest? There aren’t any IN the house that they’ve seen but at night they can hear them. 
I’ve stayed in airbnbs where I heard critters in the attic but wasn’t bothered since I grew up in places there were always little visitors in the attic. 
Appreciate any feedback! 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicole2592  I wouldn't offer anything. At this point you don't even know if you have rats in the attic or what. Squirrels or cats running around on the outside of the roof might sound as if it's coming from the attic, when it isn't. People who aren't accustomed to sounds like that might be freaked out about it, but there's nothing in that that warrants a discount.

If the inspectors do find evidence  of mice or rats there, then I would offer to refund the guests unstayed nights if they choose to leave, but not otherwise.