Inquiry....fun!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Inquiry....fun!

This was from my Instagram account, a direct message.

"I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pics of your space. I wanted to book a stay for a few days in May. How open are  you to having guests do some decorating? When I stay places I find I am most comfortable if I can bring some of my favorite decor items. Thank you!"

I say: "Thanks for checking out our cottage and the kind words. What sorts of decor items are you interested in bringing? We do ask guests not to move furnishings or pictures, etc. so not sure if that is what you mean? Let me know and have a great day."

The answer: "I like to bring my own blankets, wall art and I sometimes travel with a reclining chair. I take everything with me when I leave."

(A "reclining chair?")

21 Replies 21
Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

LOL!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Huh? I really don’t get this! Do they travel by UHaul? 

@Emilia42 right? All I can think of is a camp chair or something folding that reclines? I just said we didn't allow pictures or furnishings to be moved as we don't have the ability to re-set large items or repair walls or floors. I just don't understand. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592  You really get some doozies.  Is this person going to show up in a giant RV or are they flying by private plane?  How exactly does one travel with their own 'reclining chair'?

@Mark116 we do have a very long driveway. People have brought boats or stayed with us when they were moving cross country and had a truck. So maybe she does! I just don't know why you would want to redecorate for a short stay. Maybe she has back issues?

@Laura2592  I would think that feeling a need to travel with your own wall art and reclining chair is a sign of an EXTREMELY high maintenance guest, one of those people where it will be one of the two extremes, either totally blissful for her or she will be upset by all kinds of weird things in the cottage.

@Emilia42, answer to question, they do not fly in- they live in the area and are bringing it in as prop to establish right to occupy-for as long as they want to stay, hence the ' bring own blankets' prop, because no body travels with a reclining chair and brings own blankets and décor items.  A ridiculous idea and the cops won't buy it and will not help you with eviction.  P.S. the wall art will be photos of family etc.

Susan
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This is in the top of the tree for unusual requests.

@Sandra126 lol. It is odd. I usually just get people making demands before booking. After booking I have had some interesting conversations.  

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 Of course, by now you’ve found a way to block this creature from being able to book, right?

Right. Yes. Phew!

@Colleen253 she just sent an inquiry here but wants dates that aren't available-- we blocked them for our anniversary and will be traveling. So yes. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  She wants to put up her wall art for a  few day's stay? And haul in her Lazy Boy? I just don't get what it is about your seemingly perfectly normal listing that attracts these mental cases.

She needs to rent an unfurnished house. 🙂

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laura2592   When does your book come out?  I want to put a copy on my coffee table so my guests can read about weird guest behaviors and the saintliness of hosts who have had to deal with them.  You need to get working on that!

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

@Laura2592  This is an attempt to gain access and occupancy to your property with intent to hold-over possession.  The personal furnishings are the props to support right to occupy with legal claim to avoid forcible eviction.  Using Instagram to contact you is a starter filter. That is why it was a direct message from Instagram and not ABB. Are you a Licensed business with police and fire protection rights, like a Hotel, so you an call the cops and ask for assistance to remove a hold-over occupant? These are red flags to intent. Plus the fact that they are asking to occupy on days blocked on ABB calendar.  Next step is try to make an off the books reservation directly through you. Oh, and is this a party of 2? They most always work in pairs. This is my opinion generated through personal experience.

Susan