Current guests requesting discount because their whole group wasn't able to join

Hayley224
Level 2
New York, NY

Current guests requesting discount because their whole group wasn't able to join

Hello community! 

I'm wondering if any of you would be able to provide some insight and perhaps some language around how to respond to current guests of ours who rented our home for Labor day weekend and one of the families that would be joining them can't go because their baby has covid. They asked if I can provide a discount to make the cost of the house more affordable for two families as opposed to three. I want to be sensitive to the issue, particularly around a baby having covid, and at the same time, if I had committed to a trip and wasn't able to join for any reason I don't think I would assume then that the other guests are then responsible for my portion of payment. And the house is still in use and payment isn't determined by how many people are staying obviously. I was considering offering to take off the cleaning fee as a gesture but what do you all think? And any suggestions on how to phrase this in a kind way? Thank you so much! 

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you provide a lower rate for fewer guests. If so, just suggest the guest goes into their booking and amends it for the new number of guests @Hayley224 

If you just provide a fixed price not matter how many guests then just confirm to the guest it is a fixed price for the listing.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Hayley224   It is good to see it from both sides.  Perhaps you could give a discount based on the the decreased costs of Laundry and cleaning of the rooms that those guests would have had exclusive use of.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Hayley224 The guest could claim Covid and get a full refund. Meeting them somewhere on the way to this would make some sense (assuming you won't be able to re-let the time). I would make sure the guests agree the additional bedroom(s) is off limits for their stay.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I had a quick look at your listing and see you have an increased charge depending on guest numbers.  As @Helen3 suggested above I’d ask them to put an amendment request through for the new number of guests.  Keeps things tidy and professional and avoids the threat of an EC Covid claim.

And that's a good idea! 

Hayley224
Level 2
New York, NY

Thanks for the response! Yes-we charge after 7 people and their group was 6 adults so they weren't charged that extra fee. But I think you're right in providing some discount as a gesture. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Hayley224   Labor Day weekend is in September.  The baby should have recovered by then.