Declining a booking request

Lisa6889
Level 2
Bel Air, MD

Declining a booking request

I just received a booking request this morning that I declined since the person had only one review (a recent one) and it was from a qualified host with MANY great reviews and she said the guest was a 1 on house rules and a 1 on cleanliness.  No thanks!  But about a few min later I received another request with almost the same wording "just 4 friends looking for a quiet place to stay for the weekend." I know it is one of the group of 4 and I don't want to accept this person either.  Now my acceptance rate will take a hit.  Plus, how do I know they won't try another person in the group of 4.  ugh!!! Any thoughts?  Airbnb customer service is no help.

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lisa6889 

Explain to the guest you  already declined this group and ask to retract the booking request.

Thank you I will try this!

This actually worked great!  Thanks for the suggestion.:-)

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lisa6889 When something like this happens to me and I really don't have a good feeling about it, I sacrifice the weekend. Set a 4-night minimum or a ruleset to not allow check-ins on the Friday or Saturday. Or block out the Saturday completely. You risk an empty "weekend" but it's not worth this group being sneeky.

So true.  Just don't get why they could not just find a different place after first denial... why keep pestering me...  haha

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa6889 

Some guests are really persistent. I had to cancel an IB because the guest would not respond to a single message or provide the info required. I mean, I had been messaging him for months and nothing. When I cancelled, I explained to him why I was not comfortable hosting him and his girlfriend.

Minutes later, he messaged me apologising, but still not providing the requested info, and IBed again! A few messages later and he had STILL not provided the info, so I told him to cancel, which he did, reluctantly.

Ten minutes later, I got another booking for the same room, same dates from another couple from the same country. I asked the girl if her boyfriend's name was "X" and she confirmed it was but then claimed it was a complete coincidence that she had booked the same listing. Really???!! 

Honestly, I would not want to go where I was not wanted, but some people have very thick skin!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Lisa6889 decline and report this with "I am uncomfortable with this reservation." Explain in the notes why you declined. 

I would say something like "Hi guest-- Unfortunately your group is not a fit for my space. I just declined a different member who attempted reservation. Thanks and best of luck finding somewhere perfect. I am letting Airbnb know I can't host your party."

I would also probably block the weekend or change requirements/turn off instant book. 

Yes I messaged them about not accepting a request from same group and he said may I ask why?  We are doctors and professionals looking for a quiet weekend.  ummmm doubt it. The 2.5 star rating says otherwise. haha

Sharla1
Level 8
Saratoga Springs, NY

@Lisa6889 One other thought to possibly avoid this behavior is asking during the booking process for the full names of each guest.  Then when you have that information,  it'll be less likely for the group to try to rebook after since they've already stated who the entire group is. 

They definitely were not trying hard to hide it using the same wording on both requests.  and say they are doctors - hmmmm

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa6889 

Yes, when I had a guest try to book with me from a different profile, after I had turned her away due to a bad review, she was stupid enough not only to use the exact same wording in her request (which was quite peculiar wording anyway) but the same wording on her second profile as the first. 

I'm not a fan of liars, but I'm even less of a fan of stupid liars.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa6889 

I had a similar situation with a guest I turned away due to a really terrible review and awful communication. She then attempted to book with a new profile with no reviews, but I knew 100% it was the same guest. I contacted Airbnb who told me to report and block her and that my acceptance rate would not be affected.

Not true. I took a ding in my acceptance rate regardless and CS told me after, oops, sorry we misinformed you. Nothing we can do about it now...

Anyway, it's better to take a ding in your acceptance rate (not a Superhost criteria) than host guests who you know are going to be trouble, will break house rules and also leave you a crappy review/ratings at the end of it. As long as you are not turning down loads of requests, it should not affect you too much.

Yes, better of two evils for sure.  Don't need a 2.5 guest group at my chalet.  no thanks!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I had one recently I just changed the minimum nights to 5 nights until they went away