Deplorable conditions and Airbnb refuses to help!

Jenny675
Level 2
Whitby, Canada

Deplorable conditions and Airbnb refuses to help!

I recently had the terrible misfortune of booking an Airbnb location which is actually two units, an upstairs unit and a downstairs unit.  The day I arrived it was so cold I could not sleep.  Unfortunately the temperature controls are in the upstairs unit and not accessible to the downstairs unit.  The host offered to bring heaters but a small space heater does not remove cold that oozes out of the floors and walls.

Immediately I then began to experience the noise from the unit above.  Parties until 3 am, loud, raucus, wrestling matches with people slamming each other into the floor boards.  Night after night after night.  Finally I messaged the host after speaking to them verbally and I said that I had, had enough and I wanted my money back.  He refused despite the fact that many others had complained about the same thing.  The noise, the being at the mercy of the upstairs guest.

I have complained to Airbnb many times.  They have the proof that this happened.  They know it has happened to others but they will not put through a refund.

How do I escalate things from here?

1 Reply 1
Jenny675
Level 2
Whitby, Canada

BTW, I booked for 30 days at this Airbnb and so the total amount that I will lose because I trusted that Airbnb would offer protection in these cases, is one thousand, four hundred dollars.  Definitely more than a flesh wound!