Discounts and Booking Date Changes

Sarah5661
Level 1
Waipu, New Zealand

Discounts and Booking Date Changes

Hi there

I have discounts that were suggested that I didn't look into - 23 % weekly and 51% monthly.

From asking in a local host group this sounds like a lot. Especially as this is my peak time.What are others doing for discounts?

The situation I currently have is - I have had a long booking 34 nights, when they booked they asked for a discount, and I said that there were already discounts applied. 

They booked. They have now requested to reduce their stay by 10 nights, which takes them out of the monthly rate and into the weekly rate. This means that the cost of the booking for staying less time is actually around $500 more for a shorter stay.

They are requesting a bigger discount, and say that if they reduce the time they have booked then I have the opportunity to rent it out for the other 10 days at a higher rate.

What would everyone else do? It seems like they intended to do this to get a big discount on purpose? Something isn't sitting right with me.

Help!

and thank you.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh no - that's an incredibly high discount I offer 10% monthly discount and 5% weekly. @Sarah5661 

The guest in that case might as well keep the longer term booking as it will be cheaper for them but only stay for the shorter period . 

that being the case I would take it on the chin and match the monthly discounted rate so you get them out earlier. 

Please adjust your discounted rates to be more in line with what hosts in your community charge. 

Wanda70
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

@Sarah5661 Suggest they deal direct with AirBnB.

Don't give them a refund. And shew, your discounts are amazing. Maybe they booked long-term to get the discount thinking they would change it. Who knows?

I once got strong-armed by someone staying into giving a refund when they wanted to leave (it was Covid restrictions in the city they didn't like, not my accommodation) and AirBnB said I had no right to refund them and deducted the money from me. I don't think I should have given that person a refund. Would not again.

Good luck. They sound like lousy people. It is unpleasant having to deal with things like that.

Best, Wanda

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah5661 I would offer them a refund if you manage to rebook the days they have cancelled. So allow the change (with no refund) and see if you get a booking to replace them. You could be naughty and verbally intimate that any refund is also contingent n receiving a good review!

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah5661 

We're interested to hear how you handled the situation. It looks like you got some great advice from some of the other members here 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines