Do you provide board games for your guests?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you provide board games for your guests?

Games.jpg

Hey there everyone,

I was chatting with a host recently that suggested the tip of leaving board games in her guest rooms for them to enjoy in their downtime. A deck of cards opens up endless possibilities of games but minimising family disputes calls for the avoidance of Monopoly, for sure!

Do you provide board games for your guests to indulge in? What are your top picks?

Thanks!

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

146 Replies 146
Carol383
Level 2
Ocoee, FL

I have cards, puzzles and board games along with a game table in case of rainy days.  I also have outdoor lawn games (and bug spray).  A lot of my guests like to water activities at the beach or the local spring, so I have water games available as well.  I supply beach towels too - I don't want my bath towels out in the dirt.  

Even the guests that don't use any of those items appreciate the thought.

Teresa409
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

We definitely put games in our listing. Scrabble, Uno, and a couple others. My biggest consideration when I selected the games had very much to do with missing pieces. We only selected games that if a piece or two went missing, it wouldn’t affect the enjoyment of the game. 

Erik267
Level 1
Walnut Creek, CA

We've been renting out our mountain cabin for 3 years now, including a bookshelf full of board games.  We enjoy playing family games when we are there, so wanted to share the fun with our guests.  (We rent the entire home to guests.)  The downside is that we often rent to families since we're near a ski resort, and apparently some have let their small kids play with the games and pieces get lost or mixed up.  So now I'm in the process of simplifying the game shelf while still hoping to offer some variety.  Any suggestions for "kid-proof" games would be appreciated!  🙂

Kids are definitely a challenge but then some adults are also. Games with essential pieces (e.g. Clue, Monopoly, puzzles and any card game that doesn't use a standard deck) are a "lost piece" problem and I don't provide them.

Mancala is a game that amazingly young children can play... and win at. The board is an attention getter as many people are not familiar with it (I leave it out with a small card explaining the rules.) The pieces are polished/smooth stones and/or dried beans- which are easily replaced as they do not need to match. Set this up high enough to avoid the really young "taste everything" crowd.

Treasure hunt. For younger kids I made up a one page check list with drawings of things they can find in the rental which requires them to explore the entire place (rooms, floors and ceilings) to find them and check them off the list. Obviously this is aimed at non-readers.

Incomplete card decks. I mark with an X on the back and keep in a "building box" for older kids (with more dexterity) to build as big or tall a card house as they can. Ask them to email you a photo. Adults get into this one. If they grab a real deck it is easy to separate because of the X.

Paper and pencils. Besides keeping score if required, I add a suggestion/hint list of games on top of the box as sometimes a bored child just needs a little prodding to remember. Hangman, Tic-tac-toe (naughts and crosses), Sprouts, battleship plus many more for those that can spell- then there is just drawing. I no longer provide any crayolas, markers, paint or craft materials but I do have an old messed up "craft and game" table cloth.

A roll of masking tape (narrow and really low glue strength- I actually use that blue painters tape) can allow hop-scotch on the floor, "balancing beams"- I've never had it abused (put on floor only) but there is extra clean-up involved.

All too often merely making suggestions is all that is needed. I made a short list of games that do not require pieces, parts or boards like "I Spy", "Hinky-Pinky" , "Twenty questions", etc. Admittedly, I haven't finished compiling rules/directions for these.

I keep extra die pieces in a labeled plastic jar and don't worry if they don't match.

For games that only need player pieces (not miscellaneous essential parts like Clue) when a player piece goes missing I just provide objects that can be substituted - thimble, key, unique rock, washers, bolt/nut, foreign coin, etc. Another labeled jar.

I use labeled, clear plastic boxes with lids to individually store these items. Large enough to allow things to be thrown in them and not requiring being "fitted"- too time consuming and it never happens.

What has been your experience with where to put this stuff? I have tried down low where the child can see and access them, but it seems they all get dragged out and scattered about. Storing them up high requiring an adult or older kid to reach them seems to result in their never being used.

Laura1803
Level 4
Winnipeg, Canada

Yes! And I offer them some card games and puzzles- usually with Canadian or local themes to enhance their  visit! I also update the DVD collections if I note they have particular interests. 

Nancy960
Level 2
Oshkosh, WI

I have UNO, cards, puzzles, Legos and table/storage, games for 2-7yr olds, small cars, trucks and horses.  I also offer a “retro” Nintendo and some dvds for rainy days.  Not a lot, but little kids like “new” things.  Gives mom and dad a break.  

I had a group of adult 30 year old men in last week and they set up the trains and watch Spider Man on the bean bag chairs! Lol.   Ya never know what they like! 

Patricia1137
Level 2
Hudson, ME

Not only do we offer board games and cards I have taught people to play Settlers of Catan.  We have been able to introduce this game to many of our guests and some have gone out and bought it themselves to share with their friends.

Dominic39
Level 2
Burlington, CT

I sure do and since its a rustic cabin, I think it works very well to go with the theme of "tune out of technology and enjoy the lake, nature and each other" - it seems to resonate with many guests who note in my guest book how great it was to play games

Lilly56
Level 2
Mirrabooka, AU

Thank you for sharing, I had forgotten how much Iwe loved playing board games and cards

I am sure some of our guests would love it too.

Yes, we have been doing this for 17 years.  Favorites are the monopoly games, cribbage, jig saw puzzles, Yahtzee, Fact and Crap  (kids love this one!), vintage Candy Lane, Dog Gone Crazy & several more that have been favorites in our family over the years.

Karen1031
Level 2
Warwick, United Kingdom

I tried that thinking it was a great idea, but unfortunately it was a disaster for me as the guests scattered the pieces all over the house!!!!!

Some were never found and it took ages to clear up:-(

They went straight in the bin. Such a shame. 

Sue860
Level 1
Whitby, United Kingdom

I have a Scrabble set in the room, together with a small travel compendium of chess, draughts, snakes and ladders and Ludo. I don't think they've been used a great deal, but I think people like to see that the thought is there (along with a small selection of books, dvds and cds).

Sue

Kenn-And-Susan0
Level 2
Evanston, IL

We do keep a deck of cards in the room, as well as a grown-up type coloring book and colored pencils, a container of Playdough, notepad and pens. We also have tons of books, from adult to YA to children's. We have tons of board games, so I should mention that in our listing.

Denise104
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

I’ve always kept a deck of cards, books, games, dvds, and puzzles for my guests in their upstairs apartment. They often mention how it makes their stay feel like home!

Lori380
Level 2
Saint Thomas, Canada

Yes I do and am surprised by the amount of guests who comment. I have board games for kids and adults, coloring books for both and a few toys and books.