Entire home in Hot Springs, Arkansas by Mary and Joe

Drew3721
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

Entire home in Hot Springs, Arkansas by Mary and Joe

I am going to preface this by saying that until this experience (I've used AirBnB in many countries), I've said nothing but positive things about everywhere I've stayed and all of the hosts.

I would like to share a little warning for anyone considering staying with these hosts. 

My wife and I had their house in Hot Springs booked for well over a year.  We got a message one random day that they were increasing the cost of our reservation because it was during the solar eclipse and "they could get more money".  The increased price was approximately 4 times (!!) the original cost.  They claim that this is their business.  I own a business and I understand wanting to maximize profits.  However, they should have had the price they wanted listed in the first place.  If this is their business, it is their business to know when events (the eclipse has been a known event for many years) in their area will cause a rise in demand and increase pricing before someone books a reservation.  We had airline tickets and rental car reservations and they completely threw our plans into a tailspin.  I want to put this out there as a word of warning to be cautious when dealing with these two.  Luckily, we were able to cancel the rental car, but we lost the money we paid for my air fare.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear. Did you not contact Airbnb before agreeing to cancel. @Drew3721 

the host is not allowed to do this . Airbnb would have fined the host and helped you find alternative accommodation. 

Drew3721
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

Thanks Helen.  My wife spoke with someone from AirBnB and they made it sound like the hosts could do this.  Maybe she didn't speak with the right person?

Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Drew3721  I'm sorry that happened to you. It doesn't sound like a good business practice for the greedy hosting couple, and I hope you got a full refund. Best regards!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Drew3721  Hosts are not allowed to do this!! You need to call AirBnB and get this straightened out. Even if it's over for you, the hosts should be sanctioned. That is SO wrong!!