Extra guest without permission in a shared flat.

Lily636
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Extra guest without permission in a shared flat.

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice on how to deal with a unapproved guest. I’ve been lots of variations of this question but non that suits my situation exactly. 

I rent out the spare room in flat. Myself and my partner live here. It’s a loft conversion so not the biggest place - but does okay for us two and the temporary guest or couple. 

I dont allow couples to stay for longer than a week - as the space feels crowded especially if they decide to use the living room / kitchen area (it’s one room). 

I have a coupe staying for a week. They checked in 3 days ago. I have been on a  short break to the seaside with my partner, and made them aware. I am due to come back today (day 3 of their stay). 

I have external cameras outside the property and checked them today and saw 3 people enter the property (the 3rd person looked as if she was not arriving - more like popping back from the shops) so I checked the footage and they have had an extra guest stay since their arrival. 

They messaged asking for clean towels which I said I’d provide for them when I return home. This is obviously for their extra guest. I’m annoyed as I was reluctant to permit their stay whilst being out the house for 3 days. I am not sure if i am being over the top, but I do feel disrespected as a host in my shared home. I was also due back yesterday - but extended my stay last minute and didn’t tell my guests (bad of me I know!!). So if I did come back on time, was I to be greeted by a random person on my sofa? I also feel disrespected as this guest needed, let’s say, extra help when booking and travelling and I did go above to help them. 

Am I being over the top, especially since I have been on holiday or is my annoyance valid. I also am stuck with what to do if I arrive home tonight and the extra guest is there too. 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lily636 no you are not being over the top. My advice is to let the stay complete (not long now thankfully) and then slam them in your review. Raising it with them will just get you an undeserved bad review.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry don't agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  on this one.

What did the guest say when you called them out about a visitor not on the booking staying ? Are they sleeping on your sofa with no bedding @Lily636 

personally I would not have extended my stay but got back to my property straight away to deal with the situation I would have told them their visitor needs to leave the property immediately.

it's an outrageous thing for these guests to do and I would reflect this in my review 

do you normally provide extra towels after three days?,