Falsely Accused By Guest - Livelihood threatened

Emily-And-Hunter0
Level 2
Black Mountain, NC

Falsely Accused By Guest - Livelihood threatened

We had a guest show up at our rental, stay for about an hour, and then send me a message at about 7pm that night stating that they were "very displeased" with the listing, had found a different place to stay, and that they expected a full refund. Naturally, I inquire as to what was so disappointing for them. They tell me that they were not aware our house was next to the cottage (which was in the listing description as "right next to our residential home") and that the paint color was different in the photos. This we conceded to as we had our photos professionally taken but are in the process of making updates to the cottage and are planning to post new ones once our check list is complete. Their final complaint was of "blood splattered at the foot of the bed." This was alarming to me so I go over to the cottage (which had been vacant for about 3 hours at this point). I find that they had had sex in the bed and left it smeared with **bleep** and body fluids. They had pulled up the fitted sheet and seen four small pink flecks of the fresh paint that had landed on the mattress protector when we were repainting the room (not even on the sheets). I explained this to them, apologized that their paint color preference was different, but that it didn't give us cause to issue them a full refund. Several days later we receive a message from the safety team stating that we had been reported for violating safety protocol and that our account had been put on suspension. Airbnb refuses to tell us how or in what way we've broken protocol due to "privacy policy". Over a week goes by before we finally are told that our listing has been reopened but that a full refund to this guest has been issued and that if another incident like this happens that our listing will be permanently deactivated. We feel extremely insecure that our primary source of income could be taken away overnight at the whim of a guest who just wants a freebie. We've been superhosts for 3 years and have over 250 five star reviews. How can one persons baseless accusation put us in such a precarious situation? I have three small children and can't understand how the investigation process could be so unjust. It is also disconcerting that guests are being emboldened in this way, knowing that all it takes is a little story telling to the safety team and they get their way. It's creating a very defensive culture for hosts. I am terrified of crooked guests now. Can we get some help please???

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Emily-And-Hunter0 I don't think there is anything you can do. The only sensible thing is to list elsewhere as well so that you are not reliant on Airbnb. Its sad but @Catherine-Powell (who represents hosts) is leaving Airbnb and so it is unlikely she will ever get the suspend first, check later philosophy of Airbnb changed.