Fast Drying Quilts or Comforters?!

Allen269
Level 2
Austin, TX

Fast Drying Quilts or Comforters?!

This is the thorn in my hosting side. The laundry side of things is the biggest struggle and causes rifts with the cleaners because they can't wait around for everything to dry (I have 9 beds in one of my properties). I've been using heavy blankets/quilts but Im curious if there is something on the market touted as a "Fast Drying Comforter or Quilt"? Has anyone found a fast drying quilt? 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Allen269 Most hosts have 2 or 3 sets of bedding to solve this problem. Alternatively move to Duvets with covers.

Thanks for the reply. I find that even if you switch out the comforter each stay you still have to wash them at some point so kinda back to square one. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Allen269  We stopped using comforters for that reason, the one on the queen bed had to be done in a commercial size washer so we had to take it out.

Now we use quilts.  I do have one which is heavy organic cotton and that still takes a pretty long time to dry, the other is also cotton, Laura Ashley, thin, dries just like blanket, and a third is a synthetic material which dries super fast.

An alternative would be to keep a comforter and  use a duvet cover.  Those are all super light weight and would be fast in the dryer, we use those as well but find that they are a HUGE pain to get on and off because of all the buttons and keeping things lined up correctly.

thanks @Mark116 Do you by chance know the brand of the synthetic one? 

And I steer clear of duvet covers for that exact reason. I feel like there's a market opportunity here. I may have to get into the quilt business 😉 Cheers.

@Allen269  No, it wasn't a 'name' brand, but  we got it on sale at Target, a couple of years ago, it came with the quilt, pillow shams and 2 decorative pillows, so it was a great deal and despite being synthetic has held up to a LOT of washings.  We've had good luck with looking online at Macy's for bedding, but the quality reeaally varies.  

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

In Europe, including the UK, we use duvets. We don't use top sheets. The bottom sheets and duvet cover are laundered after each guest. And pillowcases, of course. This is a much easier process. They are not at all a pain to use. If I visited America I would not appreciate a top sheet and would remove it, but for the doubt over whether the "comforter" (strange concept, makes me think of babies drooling over and sucking a rag) was clean enough to sleep under.

@Fiona256  There are all types of bedding styles depending on where you are located. One isn't better than the other, just different.

Why would someone assume the duvet cover had been washed, yet be  wary that a comforter hadn't been? 

I have read posts from guests who travelled in Europe who found the no top sheet, only a duvet to be an issue. The duvet was too hot (yes, even "summer" duvets can be too hot- there are two layers of the cover plus the duvet itself), so the guests kept throwing it off, but there was no top sheet to cover with, so they would then wake up cold.

I provide guests with a top sheet, and a blanket, and a duvet. They can then make themselves comfortable in whatever way they choose.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Allen269   I started with comforters and heavy blankets.  Washing nightmare.   I have since moved to IKEA sourced duvet inserts and duvet covers.  The inserts come in all sizes twin to king, and varied warmth weights.  They are labeled 1, 2 or 3 and are of a washable quick drying down alternative material.  I also provide a heavier cotton blanket that is also quick drying.  The most important thing is to have a duplicate quick turnover set of all bedding in case additional treatment is needed.  I once had a guest whose perfume use necessitated washing all of her bedding (mattress cover too) at least three times before the perfume was gone.

@Lorna170  Was that my mom?  

Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

We’re in Southern Spain. Winter months guests get a duvet and cover, in summer just a top sheet. Extra blankets available if required. Good old Marks and Spencer comes up trumps for good quality and cost effectiveness.  Duvets synthetic and super easy to wash and dry.

Malia190
Level 2
Panama City, FL

Coverlets are amazing. Super light and dry quicker than a normal quilt. 

Malia190
Level 2
Panama City, FL

Tried using Duvet but they were too cumbersome to use and looks sloppy a lot of times on the bed. 

Malia190
Level 2
Panama City, FL

Yes a coverlet looks like a quilt, but much lighter and dries faster. Much easier to wash in between guests, than using duvet. I have a couple sets of blankets and sheets for each bed.