Getting some terrible guests this year.

Getting some terrible guests this year.

Hi all,

hope everyone is well, and  starting to come out the other side of the last weird year.

Was going to be a rant, but probably more constructive to compare if we have a right or wrong sort of guest.And how we can deter the wrong 'uns even when everywhere else is fully booked.

Cornwall fully booked. Overseas travel restrictions.

Usually we get hikers on the coast path, German, US, european and from the rest of the world.

This year all we seem to get are disgruntled people who would't touch this sort of accommodation with a barge pole if everywhere else wasn't full up.

The sort of guest you really don't want.

What sort of guest don't you  want?  What warning sirens go off?

After six stays since reopening we have already ticked two "would not host again" boxes and even had to leave a review  along the lines of  "guest checked out on time. Received full refund after raising issues after they had left". hopefully to help hosts who do our type of accommodation.   Never had to leave a negative review or tick that box before.  

Our warning signs:

1. Get lost, can't find the house despite inch perfect google map pin, advised not to use google satnav, and very clear directions in the listing.

2. This usually means they have not read the listing very well if at all,  because then they complain that there was a dog hair somewhere, and we were smoking outside. (dogs and smoking area are in the listing)

3. Turn up dressed for a girls night out in St Ives (10 miles) or Penzance (8 miles) despite covid restrictions and the need to book a month ahead

4. Ask for the WiFi code when it is on the massive keyring you have just given them, and on the dresser in front of the telly next to the hand sanitizer they never bothered to use.

5. One of them booked it "for my friend and I", the other one didn't like the look it from the start. But hey, everywhere else is booked/too expensive.... and we are too good for this sort of hovel anyway.

The "better suited to a hotel" syndrome, but when all the hotels are full they turn up in your home determined to find everything wrong.

Can't wait for our usual guests back.

29 Replies 29
Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Hope you are well 🙂

I've just re-opened our calender, tentatively, and will be putting a fair few questions to potential guests, before accepting booking requests (if I ever get any!) As Kevin said, he regrets having 'instant booking' on. Personally, I've never had it on, and wouldn't want it.

@Patricia55  I think I will turn off instant booking as well. I had it for 4 years but since Airbnb now hides half of our information it becomes too problematic.

If it won't work then I already have an alternative plan

Patricia55
Level 10

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Good luck! 👍

we are not sure about the instant booking in the current situation.  In the past it really suited our "core" guests, hikers. As their plans can change day by day and when the weather changes, we are a short-notice place, and set up that way.  

We cater for and understand outdoors types and bikers.  It is a bit of a niche.

It suited us, too. Nice people turn up needing a warm bath, a comfy bed and a good night's sleep, appreciate a secure garage and a good breakfast, and wet muddy boots get dried rady for the next day's adventure.

Unfortunately we have taken so many bookings already on instant book...... a business decision that we mis-judged I think.

Patricia55
Level 10

@Kevin1322  Do hope you start to get better guests before long... btw, have you turned off 'instant book'?!

no, we haven't turned it off yet as we are pretty full anyway. we are hoping things settle a bit by september/october.

Most of the year's bookings flooded in within the first few days of turning it back on.

I will definitely chat with Sue about it tomorrow.  We have found it very handy in the past and it worked well.

Airbnb give you the tools, you just have to stay on the ball using them as things change I guess.

@Kevin1322 if you're stuck with them at this point, then it's likely a good idea to practice up on your "Ute No". And can't hurt to give people a good talking to, even after they've booked to either a) get them to behave or b) decide to cancel and go elsewhere (or stay home!). Good luck with the next crop coming thru!

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

Agreed. I have a big amount of guests paying what seems like no attention to house rules. Which is crazy, because even if they didn't read them like they are supposed to at booking, I have them posted on the back of the guest room door. Frustrating. I agree the quality of guests has taken a dive. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Kevin1322 ,

So good to see you on the Community Center again, though I wish it wasn't in a topic about naff guests. How are you and Sue getting on? And the pups! 

Thanks,

Steph

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hi Steph,!  we are fine, thanks.  One new "pup", by accident we did some fostering for the greyhound sanctuary during lockdown,  and one stayed.  Hector is a bit of a handful.  But lovely in the house. Mutley passed away last year, Daisy got bitten by an adder,  well she will stick her nose in things, and Lily still has three legs but manages to be leader of the pack anyway.  

Not all the guests are naff. It does look like a global problem, I think a lot of people have forgotten how to behave.  It is perhaps what to expect when they can't get Florida this year and settle for a room in someone's home  in Cornwall expecting hotel service for hostel money.

We expect to lose superhost following two nightmares last week lol.

Everyone we know in hospitality is saying the same about guests this year, though, even in the local shops. 

It really is a shame for the nice guests, everyone is a bit on edge expecting the worst from guests..

It doesn't help that the G7 is on just up the road causing massive disruption for everyone.

Trying to remember what normal was like 🤣

Patricia55
Level 10

@Kevin1322  Hi Kevin, nice to hear talk of your dogs – though sorry you lost one last year 🙁 Here in Jesmond I've noticed so many more dogs around in the past year, both puppies & rescue ones... So grateful to our Ben boy, and our furry, 4-legged (and 3-legged!) friends generally, for helping us to stay sane 😑 (Do hope people people don't neglect them though, when life picks up pace again.)

I put out feelers to a few of our many-time, trusted guests... and a couple of them are coming to stay! And got my first booking request! – good but also scary. Luckily she wasn't put off by my initial message on safety stuff and replied with understanding. Fingers crossed for all of us 🤞

Eu Graças a Deus, não tive nenhum problema com Hóspedes, nn

Dennise-Ann0
Level 4
Twain Harte, CA

Since I started hosting again this year the experience has been hit and miss.  It is mostly miss with first time guests with no reviews.  One booked for 4 and by the time the weekend was over there where 9 guest (two infants).  They don't read the description.  One guest created a massive amount of garbage.  We have no garbage service since we are in a national forest and I have to haul it out.  My last guest was one of the messiest I have had.  I am on the second day of cleaning and haven't finished.  The quality of new guests has definitely gone downhill since I originally joined.

Rafa1316
Level 2
Valencia, Spain

I'm having a lot of guests that misunderstood my listing and thougt they were renting the whole place instead of a bedroom. Is there any way to state that more clearly? I think my listing is 100% honest, but the guests don't even read the title

@Rafa1316  Change your listing title to something like "Private Room in .....". You don't have say "double" in your title, nor "private bathroom", as that is already stated in the listing.

Also you need a more comprehensive description. You need to explain in the description that it is a private room/bath in your home where you live. "This is an owner-occupied apartment you will be sharing with tbe host".

Your wording about asking if guests need to use the kitchen or living room isn't okay. You have kitchen and living room listed as shared spaces. There is no reason they should have to ask.

When guests first book or request to book, in your first message to them, make sure you establish that they understand it's not an entire apartment, because as you say, many guests don't bother to read.