Groups under 21

Answered!
Terrill0
Level 7
Dresden, ME

Groups under 21

I just had a 19 year old with no reviews try to book my place with three other friends. I don’t know the age of the other guests. I generally feel uncomfortable renting to anyone under the age of 21. I also am cautious about renting to groups or anyone with no prior reviews… 

I know Airbnbs discrimination policy is intended to protect families. As a host I need to protect myself from young groups who may be drinking….

Any thoughts/experiences with this ?

1 Best Answer

Hi  @Emilia42 !

Yes, I think you are right.  Honestly when I travel with friends this is what we look for, and its great with a parents with kids situation.... I hate to limit (I'd rather expand) who my cabin is good for...but there are limits for everything

Thank you for the helpful feedback!

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

@Terrill0   You can see several hosts' perspectives on under-21's in this recent thread: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/This-is-going-to-be-a-test-where-I-hope-I-am-right/t...

From your listing, it sounds like you also live on the same plot of land, so you'll be able to have eyes and ears on the cabin and notice if any shenanigans were going on. Honestly, the 19-year-olds of today seem much less interested in alcohol, drugs, and loud parties than the average teenager in previous generations (no matter what impression one might get watching "Euphoria") and in all likelihood you'll just have a few mild-mannered undergrads making goofy videos on their phones. But you may still request that all guests show ID at check in and take down the relevant information about their names and ages. If all of them are under 21, you can say that underage drinking will not be tolerated, but if one or more is legal drinking age, that responsibility is out of your hands. In that case, just double down on the rules on unregistered guests and noise.

Terrill0
Level 7
Dresden, ME

Thank you @Anonymous ! That thread about musicians under the age of 25 is great. I definitely appreciate your comment. Yes,the fact that we are on site is a deterrent to a raucous party. It seems like the best thing to do is require Guest ID before check in and state that under aged drinking won’t be tolerated…I hate to “ police” my guests at this level but I am liable if there is a problem so effectively it’s my responsibility as a host .I found this in Airbnb’s help section: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/272/can-i-require-guests-to-be-verified-before-booking

And this (which surprised me) about Airbnb running background checks on guests :

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3035/ways-your-id-info-may-be-used

@Terrill0 OK, well the background checks are not universal - Airbnb will never disclose which accounts have been checked and which haven't. And while you can require verified ID (a farce in itself) for Instant Bookings, non-verified members are still free to send requests.

If you ultimately decided to accept these guests, I don't think you need to stay up all night policing them. The ID check is a step for your own protection, which you can do for all guests, but I think it's best to put aside the negative stereotypes about young people and treat them the same as all the other guests who have happily stayed with you once they've checked in. 

I was just surprised to learn that Airbnb runs background checks with IDs…I think they said only in the US and India…I don’t feel the need to stay up late policing guests..that is something mentioned in the thread you linked to. I think it was in response to renting to a group on 6 under 21… I have rented to under 21, and to people without reviews before but not groups of under 21 with no reviews… I’m not comfortable with that, and my listing isn’t always suited for groups anyway due to size and amenity limitations… I’m not sure that there is a negative stereotype associated with a lack of reviews…I know when I look to stay with a host I look to a super host, or someone with reviews…That peer review is definitely helpful.

thank you for weighing in!

Absolutely Terrill0!

I to am on site and I believe it deters any unruly behavior.

Thanks

Hi @Toni4674  your place looks fantastic! Exactly the listing I search for when traveling myself! I created this post originally about youngsters and liability some time ago and my updated report is I now confirm that groups who are underage know drinking will not be tolerated. I also collect IDs since otherwise I essentially don’t know who 2/3rds of the guests are! I’ve hosted several groups of 3 people under 21 and all of them were great. All of them were extremely respectful and their responses to my requests put me at ease. all of the groups were first time guests with no reviews as well and I was happy to have clear boundaries and communication with them. I think, as I see from your listing you have a water feature, that peace of mind is essential for guest safely and host liability.  I’m glad to be able to offer something affordable for groups of friends traveling, and having clear communication has been key. 
my message before booking states “ unregistered guests will result in cancellation “ and these clear policies are essential as well.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Terrill0 Your little cabin looks wonderful (I think I have told you that before) but I do wonder why you have a guest count of up to 4? These young friends were probably searching for an inexpensive place to crash while on a 19-year-old's-vacation-budget and your quaint cabin popped up in their search results. For small spaces, catering to couples really is the way to go, in my opinion. Then age really becomes less of a problem and an afterthought. 

Hi  @Emilia42 !

Yes, I think you are right.  Honestly when I travel with friends this is what we look for, and its great with a parents with kids situation.... I hate to limit (I'd rather expand) who my cabin is good for...but there are limits for everything

Thank you for the helpful feedback!

OK, so I changed my guests from 4 to 3...This allows for  a single parent with 2 kids or two people who don't want to sleep in the loft. I think it might be the sweet spot.  going forward I will just look for good communication from my guest and keep my boundaries and communication with guest on point. I really dont want to "card" my guests...I like the idea that Airbnb takes care of that for me!!!! Thank you @Anonymous  for your info on taking guests ID..I was unclear on what Airbnb actually collected and what they did not...

@Terrill0  I think you might be mistaken there; Airbnb does not collect the ID of an entire group of guests. If the one who booked has "verified ID" on their profile, it means that the guest has submitted a scan of some kind of picture ID that the algorithm recognizes. It may or may not actually be theirs. So no, Airbnb doesn't take care of anything for you at all, except for collecting payment. 

You can ask for the full names and ages of all members of the group when they book. If you want to be able to card people as a check for underage drinking, that requirement should be clearly disclosed in the listing. 

Couldn't agree more Emilia42. I have a somewhat spacious room in my home that I rent. Nonetheless, it is only a room. My experience has been that I am able to "attract my tribe" to my listing because the just wan to sit in the nature Maine provides.

Thanks

Terrill0
Level 7
Dresden, ME

@Anonymous  It is  my understanding they may have the government ID of the booking guest, not the “guest’s guests”.

Chrystine3
Level 1
Solvang, CA

This is the closest I could find to my question......I host in wine country and like to leave a bottle of wine for my guests.  Since I have no way of knowing the age of a booking guest I wonder if this leaves me open to providing alcohol to a minor? It would be great if Airbnb would indicate if booking person was over/under 21 as a general rule. It might be helpful to a lot of us! 

....and where can I pose this question directly to Airbnb?