Guest Profile has fake name

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Guest Profile has fake name

This questions is addressed to fellow hosts that feel it is both important and reasonable to expect the full name of a guest booking your property.   This question stems from a recent booking and subsequent  call with ABNB support.  

My guest’s first name was a little unusual but it wasn’t until the booking was confirmed that I became concerned about the accuracy of their name.  First and last name were unusual AND identical, and according to the profile, his identify had been verified by Airbnb.  So I began addressing the guest in my messages by the name in the profile, and he did not correct me.  Our listing/house rules indicate that full names of all adults are required upon booking, but it felt unfair to assume his profile name wasn't his name.  

I believe that 'identify verified' means that a government issued ID has been uploaded and checked by Airbnb.  When I called support to inquire if that was the case, and to ask if they could verify that the name on the Airbnb profile matched the name on the ID, I was told it did match.   And that there is “no problem”.  (They also repeated multiple times that the booking had been paid for and offered some other irrelevant information to placate me.)

Side note: I did not ask my guest because I knew they were driving/enroute to the cottage.  But at some point the wife messaged me, shared HER name, and took that opportunity to ask for the husband's real name.  Eventually the guest who booked relayed his actual name and it was nothing like the profile. 

Going forward, I could use my judgement and intuition when seeing an unusual name….I could ask the guest to confirm their name and hope they don’t get offended.  But what to do about the fact that this is even possible within the Airbnb app AND that support is giving me incorrect info about a guest?!?

As I said at the outset, I’m interested in hearing from hosts that, like me, believe it’s both  important and reasonable to know your guest’s name.  
12 Replies 12
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Guests and hosts don't have to use their real names when they set up their profile @Nicole2223 .

Many hosts for example list by a marketing name for their listing rather by their actual name contrary to Airbnbs T&Cs .

i agree both hosts and guests should provide their real names to instil trust .  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nicole2223 

The name on the guest's profile doesn't have to be their real name. Although I have found that, in most cases it is their real/full name, it's treated more like a user name, and this can be changed. So, even if they use their real name at the time of verification, they could change it later to a nick name. 

You should find the user's real full name on the booking confirmation that Airbnb sends you. If that looks suspect, then that's where you should become concerned. If you still have the confirmation email, have a look to see if your guest's real name appears and let us know!

I'm going to make up an example here, since I don't want to include actual screenshots.

Let's say the guest's first name is "Boo" in their ABNB profile.

In the app, I see that "Boo" would like to book.  Once he actually booked and paid, I see that "Boo Boo" is confirmed.  I checked the confirmation email, and it shows the exact same thing.  

I was pretty sure that "Boo" was not his real name.  And once I saw Boo Boo, I was certain.

The guest has come and gone, no harm done.  But I wonder if I should (a) say something to the guest directly in a private comment after I've reviewed him and/or (b) find an appropriate way to mention this in the public review.

Thoughts?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nicole2223 

Ok, so that is definitely more troubling. Yes, I would mention it to the guest privately, suggesting he put his real name on the account. You could explain that the full name wouldn't show on his profile and hosts can only see it once a booking is made, but that it's important for hosts to know who is coming to their home for security reasons. I wouldn't mention it in a public review. The guests were fine, so why bring this up publicly? 

Jason843
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

It is reasonable to ask.  Just don’t expect Airbnb to help any host, ever.  

Sadly, this is quite true for me too.

AIRBNB is anti-host

Yes I feel this quite often, they need to realise “No Hosts = No Abnb”

Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Sadly, I’m finding that Airbnb does a poor job of vetting both guests and hosts. My cousin just told me she’s been using an alias on her airbnb account for years and yet she appeared verified. She 65happens to be a good person and an excellent guest, but what if she wasn’t? 

Worst case scenario is an unverified guest accidentally burning down our house ( we have a fireplace) How do we hold anybody responsible if we don’t even have real names?

Ray-and-Kylie0
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hi, we have had similar issues with Guest identity, names, photos etc.  Airbnb also informed us all was OK, even though on Guest had a photo of a ginger bread man for his profile and no name.

So I thought I would change my name of my earlier travellers account on the app and see if the system would allow it, went through with no issues or problems and it has been over 12 months now and has never been picked up.

Regards, Ray.

Maureen338
Level 2
Madison, WI

I had a reservation with a fake name recently but the person gave a name in the message. I was told that I could search the name in Google for the photo. How do I know that that name and photo on Google is authentic??? My website clearly states that a recent profile photo is required.  Airbnb told me that legal names are not required to post for Hosts to get, that any name can be posted after an account is set up. Hosts have no guarantee that Airbnb has a hosts back!!! They even refunded ALL the money to the guest when the fake stated that they thought I was skeptical and they felt uncomfortable. My cancellation policy is half refund if cancellation occurs in less than 5 days. Airbnb can override what you have on your website!!! This is NOT over yet!!!

Shirley26
Level 10
Madison, WI

As a host, I am attempting to ensure my safety when guests book my home.

So, I've  added the following language to my "Instant Booking"  and "Pre-Booking message":

For everyone's safety, a profile picture, similar to that which is on your driver's license or passport is required along with your legal name. Include the full names of ALL guests in your reservation, as Airbnb does not share this info with hosts.”