Guest With Fake Service Animal Using Potty Pads in our property

Answered!

Guest With Fake Service Animal Using Potty Pads in our property

I need some help here... Our AirBnB Property is strict no pets, a studio downstairs from the main house. We had a guest check into the unit that claim they have a service dog prior to arriving. We agreed as you cannot refuse a true service animal. After the reservation was made,  about a week before they got here, they told us that it was actually an emotional support animal and could we take up the rugs in our unit just in case there was an accident. At this point we wanted to cancel the reservation but we were told by Airbnb that if we did we wouldn’t be able to rent the unit for that week and we will be penalized. At that point we didn’t know what to do so we just went with. After the guest's first night we noticed that they did not walk the dog in the morning - I quite sure they are using potty pads . Obviously we don’t want a dog urinating and defecating in our strict no pet policy rental for the next five days. What would be the best course of action here?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"At this point we wanted to cancel the reservation but we were told by Airbnb that if we did we wouldn’t be able to rent the unit for that week and we will be penalized."

It's too bad you didn't have the policy at hand to read to the Airbnb agent, who never should have told you that. You had every right to cancel the reservation penalty-free when the guest asked you to remove the rugs indicating that her dog might relieve itself indoors.

ESAs and service dogs have to be housebroken. They don't get to have "accidents". That's in the Airbnb rules under that section.

@Lala72

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I ask guests with service animals to confirm what tasks their service animal is designed to help them with and remind them that as a service animal their animal must accompany them at all times and therefore cannot be left in the listing at any time when they are not present. 

@Annette290