Guest checked out early & requests refund

Answered!
Terrill0
Level 7
Dresden, ME

Guest checked out early & requests refund

I had guests check in and spend one night. They got a discount for no cancellation.  After the first night I got a message saying the ladder to the loft was too slippery for his wife to feel comfortable climbing in her socks so they spent the night on the first floor sofa. They said the wife woke up because she heard squealing sounds and thought she saw something on the floor. They were sleeping in a small space, there is no carpet or anything a creature could have hidden in. They said they couldn’t tell if the squealing sound was coming from inside or outside but that it would stop when they turned on their flashlights…

First: we clearly state that access to the loft is by ladder. It’s actually hand built by a friend and the rungs are wide and flat. The handrails are wide with open handles that are easy to grip. There are several images of it in the listing. It is OAK and firmly held to the loft…We clearly state that if you’re not comfortable climbing ladders this is not the place for you.

Second: there is no evidence of any creature inside the cabin. It’s a small space so I don’t understand why they didn’t turn on the nightlight or just look under around.

third: we have never had an issue with either of these things before. 
i think I’m just irritated because I go to great lengths to make sure that people understand our listings limitations. I even ask people to confirm that they understand the limitations before booking but this feels silly sometimes…

It’s very frustrating…

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just confirm to the guest that you are sorry they decided to change their plans but your listing is very clear that the access to the bedroom is via a ladder with wide flat rungs and an easy grip handrail . And that you ask guests who aren't comfortable with the arrangement not to book.

as your listing is very much as advertised there is no reason to offer them a voluntary refund particularly when they chose the option of gaining a discount for the booking on the basis there would be no refund if they cancelled .

respond with screen grabs of relevant text and photos from your listing .  @Terrill0 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Dottie9
Level 3
Kernersville, NC

I empathize.  I have dogs and also dog sit.  It is all over my site and I have pictures of my dog and also confirm with guests before hand.  I’ve had people that come and still be surprised there is a dog!!  
Many people do not read OR they want to complain to get a refund!  
It’s  part of being a host.  Don’t know if you can do more.  
Do let Airbnb support know though if the guest asks for a refund as the support can see the Airbnb comments on the Airbnb app.  Keep all conversations on their message app.  It protects you and them.

Happy hosting.

Dottie,

Quiet in Kernernsville, NC

Sir Fred is clearly a hosting ambassador ❤️ and deserves reverence.

having a host pet is Soooo nice for people. It is VERY irritating when people book without reading. I have a message that guests have to check “by booking I’ve read and understand etc” but every once in a while somebody slips through the cracks. Thank you for affirming!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Terrill0 don't give them a cent back! You've been crystal clear about your cabin, and everything it does and doesn't have. (I'd love to come stay!!) This is entirely on them. People don't read, and you shouldn't have to placate these non-reading fussy guests with money to make everything better. 

Ummm....maybe take your socks off if you can't climb the ladder in them? 

If they decide to play dirty and turn the possible creature sighting into an actual mouse sighting, that might make trouble with AirBnB, but they have no proof. 

Just be happy that they'll never book again, and hope that they decide to go away and stop bothering you for a refund. 

You have a lovely place and many happy guests and good reviews. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about this. 

Thank you Kia! Your place looks amazing! Come stay with us anytime. We are on a river and have kayaks (and sturgeon). It’s tidal but not white water …we have white water close by though!

Thank you RE: socks!? It’s a very hot July! 
i think they had been drinking frankly and the fact they threw in critters really freaked me out. So far no refund and we haven’t reviewed each other. 

@Terrill0  You're welcome, and how nice of you!

I'm happy to be anywhere near water. As soon as the magic "retirement" word becomes reality, I'll  come knocking on your door. 

I actually sleep with socks on every night, but I think I can handle the ladder. 

Honestly, your place looks great. It's exactly my style. 

Good luck moving forward. Karma will get those folks straightened out shortly, or so we hope. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just confirm to the guest that you are sorry they decided to change their plans but your listing is very clear that the access to the bedroom is via a ladder with wide flat rungs and an easy grip handrail . And that you ask guests who aren't comfortable with the arrangement not to book.

as your listing is very much as advertised there is no reason to offer them a voluntary refund particularly when they chose the option of gaining a discount for the booking on the basis there would be no refund if they cancelled .

respond with screen grabs of relevant text and photos from your listing .  @Terrill0 

Screenshots are a great idea!