Guest claims security concern because cleaners left sliding glass door cracked open

Guest claims security concern because cleaners left sliding glass door cracked open

My cleaners were running late today and left a sliding glass door cracked (maybe—they can’t recall but said it’s possible). The guest showed up and claimed they felt unsafe and want a refund. 

For all I know, they opened the door because they didn’t like the home. 

Is Airbnb going to make me refund them because they claim a door was unlocked and cracked? That seems absurd. 

I have a Ring camera and assured the guest the occupancy sensor and camera would have caught something, but they are being a bit hysterical and want a refund. 

has anyone had this happen before?

2 Replies 2
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Lee353 Is the guest a female? Is that why you consider guest hysterical?

I, as a female, would have a problem entering a property—even a hotel—with an unlocked door. Did you go to the property and PERSONALLY check that everything was on the up and up? I’m willing to bet you didn’t. You just relied on your ring camera.

Yes, I would not want to stay anywhere if I felt uncomfortable or unsafe. 

No idea why you’ve brought gender into this, but no, it is not a female.  I agree with you safety should be of utmost concern—regardless of gender.  

I had my cleaner and non emergency personnel go to the cabin to check since I’m out of state, and they said the sliding glass door was cracked maybe 1”. 

The guest casually walked in and casually walked out 10 minutes later and then started messaging me that they felt unsafe and want a refund. 

If the door was legitimately cracked when they arrived, I can understand the concern, but I’m not sure why they would have stayed inside for 10 minutes and then calmly leave claiming a safety concern. 

If all it takes to get a full refund is opening a door and claiming it was like that when you arrived, there are going to be a lot of guests who abuse this. 

I normally give people the benefit of the doubt, but this feels like someone who changed their mind upon arrival and knows how to game the system (they have tons of reviews so they clearly know how Airbnb works).

Thanks for your perspective though!