Guest left in the middle of the night and wants refund

Answered!

Guest left in the middle of the night and wants refund

Had guests mother and teenage daughter arrive 3 hours early, which was OK as accommodation ready, arrived at midday and left at midnight without any notification or messages until the next day. My husband greeted them and I saw them few hours later after work to welcome them and ask was everything satisfactory etc...

Weather was terrible that afternoon and all evening.

Next morning I received a message saying they had left at midnight as they were unhappy with insects outside the lodge (we are in the country and keep goats and Alpacas for guests to enjoy in paddocks next to accommodation).  They also said there was a hair in the bedding and some dust around the UNDERNEATH Wooden slats that hold up the high rise double mattress (accommodation is a shepards hut lodge with high rise bed).

They are requesting a full refund.. any advice on what to do. I have already messaged back stating that bedding was clean and have photos of how they left it. Left very untidy with chocolate marks and grass on the white bedding.   

Please can you help advise me 🙏

1 Best Answer

Hi @Clare606 ,

Totally frustrating scenario. I totally understand and empathize.

Here's my sense:

- if there is something that you can address/fix or add to your messaging or marketing that will help avoid a future issue, do that thing, if you haven't already. Even cranky guests with unfair reactions can still provide some actionable info. 

- insect/country noise is to be expected in the county but maybe a white noise machine can be added? In your listing somewhere (other things to note) add the guest can anticipate some country noise insects/barn whatever.

- dust in an area that would never really be noticed - should still be dusted. Not that you aren't doing that already though. Just since you mentioned.  An area like you mentioned might not need to be addressed after each guest but some sort of routine to get these areas should be implemented.

- HAIR! this is such a tough one. Easy to say "hair" and then every one freaks out.  The way "hair" works it could very easily have been their hair. 

- untidy guests is another issue and to be anticipated, in general I would think. If they staind something beyond repair that is a basis for a claim but given the circumstances perhaps not worth it.

- refund - I would be inclined to provide a refund. And just move on. If you haven't already, I would document how you communicated with the guest (that guest was met by "so and so" after check in and we confirmed that things in good order, no questions, no issue, the had our contact info etc) so that AIRBNB has that info. Not that they will change their stance, just that you need to ensure that you show you are definitely and conscientiously meeting a standard of guest care.

Wishing you much success,

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I would full refund for any issues. Seems like they encountered multiple issues so yea. 

Keep in mind though, I'm on a flexible cancellation policy, so if they cancel they can basically get a big refund without me doing anything. 

Hi @Clare606 ,

Totally frustrating scenario. I totally understand and empathize.

Here's my sense:

- if there is something that you can address/fix or add to your messaging or marketing that will help avoid a future issue, do that thing, if you haven't already. Even cranky guests with unfair reactions can still provide some actionable info. 

- insect/country noise is to be expected in the county but maybe a white noise machine can be added? In your listing somewhere (other things to note) add the guest can anticipate some country noise insects/barn whatever.

- dust in an area that would never really be noticed - should still be dusted. Not that you aren't doing that already though. Just since you mentioned.  An area like you mentioned might not need to be addressed after each guest but some sort of routine to get these areas should be implemented.

- HAIR! this is such a tough one. Easy to say "hair" and then every one freaks out.  The way "hair" works it could very easily have been their hair. 

- untidy guests is another issue and to be anticipated, in general I would think. If they staind something beyond repair that is a basis for a claim but given the circumstances perhaps not worth it.

- refund - I would be inclined to provide a refund. And just move on. If you haven't already, I would document how you communicated with the guest (that guest was met by "so and so" after check in and we confirmed that things in good order, no questions, no issue, the had our contact info etc) so that AIRBNB has that info. Not that they will change their stance, just that you need to ensure that you show you are definitely and conscientiously meeting a standard of guest care.

Wishing you much success,

Thank you, yes have addressed everything,  will mention the insects in the country in my listing 🤔😀....

I have agreed on a 50% refund,  so hopefully can move on and learn from this. 🤞🤞

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Clare606, I am tagging @Greystone0 here so they receive a notification of your message. This way, we increase the chances of them getting back to us.

Quick tip: To tag someone, tap "@" and select the host's username from the dropdown menu 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Paula . Thank you